GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Watermelon Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/22280-watermelon-question.html)

CORRWOOD 13-05-2003 07:08 PM

Watermelon Question

I planted watermelons (Jubilee) indoors and the seedlings emerged a few days
ago. They are growing indoors under full spectrum bulbs.BTW, I'm new to
starting plants indoors. The seedlings are getting really tall (about 4"), so I
was wondering if that's normal? I planted Jubilee watermelons outside and the
seedlings never got tall as they are under the lights. Thanks.

D.N.

Frankhartx 14-05-2003 12:56 AM

Watermelon Question

From: (CORRWOOD)

I planted watermelons (Jubilee) indoors and the seedlings emerged a few days
ago. They are growing indoors under full spectrum bulbs.BTW, I'm new to
starting plants indoors. The seedlings are getting really tall (about 4"), so
was wondering if that's normal? I planted Jubilee watermelons outside and the
seedlings never got tall as they are under the lights. Thanks.

D.N.

Tjere is a tendency for indoor raised plants to get leggy--artificial lighting
should be on at least 16 hours a day and the temperature not too warm.

Dwayne 14-05-2003 02:44 AM

Watermelon Question

When mine do that, I take them out to the back porch during the day and let
them get the sun. Then I bring them back in when it gets below 50 degrees
F. By the time they are ready to be planted, they are already hardened off.

Lacking 50 plus degree temps, go with the artificial light. put it within 3
inches of the tallest plants (using bulbs that don't produce too much heat).

Dwayne