Old 14-05-2003, 05:56 AM
L71inda

Default stinkbugs

Anyone know how to keep stinkbugs off of the zuccinni, and pumpkins?
Old 14-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

L71inda said:

Anyone know how to keep stinkbugs off of the zuccinni, and pumpkins?

From an earlier post of mine:

Vacuum plants daily (rather than attempt to hand-pick).

Sabadilla dust is the 'natural' pesticide that is usually recommended for
stink bugs.

Nymphs can be killed by soap to which *isopropal alcohol* had been added
(won't kill mature bugs). Spray every few days.

Learn to identify, hand-pick and destroy egg masses.

Clean cultivation (no refuge for the pests). Cruciferous weeds (cress, wild mustard,
etc.) in particular can harbor stinkbugs.

Trap crop of mustard in the fall (destroy pest and trap crop).

Sometimes recommended to deter squash bugs:
Spray plants with vanilla water 3 times a week (to disquise scent of squash plants)

Fall cleanup very important. Often shelters under boards and trash during the
winter.

Keep ground under plants clear of mulch (which shelters squash bugs). You can
mulch with cut dill plants to repell squash bugs.

Grow plants under row covers. (Be sure to do this on clean-cultivated plots, as
you do not want overwintering bugs to emerge under your row covers.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 18-05-2003, 02:20 AM
DDBntn63

I use liquid Seven. To avoid wholesale spraying I put it in a hand held spray
bottle and squirt it directly on the little buggers!
Old 14-06-2003, 11:20 PM
bob davenport

Get an old usable blender: collect as many bugs as you can: put them in
blender with a small amount of water: blend them. Take the resultant mix,
add a little more water and spray the plants with the mix. This works!

Thanks Bob.
"DDBntn63" wrote in message
I use liquid Seven. To avoid wholesale spraying I put it in a hand held

spray
bottle and squirt it directly on the little buggers!

Stinkbugs on Tomatoes [email protected] Texas 2 14-11-2010 10:57 AM
Attack Of The Stinkbugs jack Gardening 5 05-10-2010 07:48 PM
Controlling Stinkbugs ORGANICALLY? [email protected] Gardening 0 11-06-2007 08:56 PM
"Stinkbugs" -- any idea how to prevent or get rid of them? freddotr Lawns 1 19-04-2004 02:09 AM
How to get rid of stinkbugs joebee Australia 7 07-11-2003 10:02 PM