Old 14-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Cristine

Default I've Got An Earwig Problem

My cabbages and cauliflowers are doing great, except for the earwigs. I
hate those things, and they seem to love my veggies.

Does anyone know how to deter those peskies without using chemicals?

Thanks

--

Cristine

Old 14-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Jim

On Wed, 14 May 2003 09:28:14 -0700, "Cristine"
wrote:

My cabbages and cauliflowers are doing great, except for the earwigs. I
hate those things, and they seem to love my veggies.

Does anyone know how to deter those peskies without using chemicals?

Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the plants (even on the plants).

I haven't found a reasonably priced source on the net, but I get 50lbs
from a feed store in Oregon for about $15. Lasts me several years.

Jim
Old 14-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Monique Reed

Um, as far as I know, although a few species eat plants and most are
omnivorous, most earwigs are more predatory than otherwise. Are you
sure they're not doing you a favor by eating other things that are
loving your veggies?
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG268/html/earwigs.htm

M. Reed

Old 14-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Boron Elgar

On Wed, 14 May 2003 13:31:16 -0500, Monique Reed
wrote:

Um, as far as I know, although a few species eat plants and most are
omnivorous, most earwigs are more predatory than otherwise. Are you
sure they're not doing you a favor by eating other things that are
loving your veggies?
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG268/html/earwigs.htm

I've only had them in corn and they really wreck it. In fact, the site
below, thinks they are pests, too....the word "devastate" is used.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74102.html

How odd to have the sources disagree like that. My own experience with
them is not good, I must say. It is like "Alien" in the garden.

boron
Old 15-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Cristine

Thanks for the site. Good information on both of them. I'm going to try
capturing the peskies with the can and oil trick. I'll let you know how it
goes.

Cristine

Old 16-05-2003, 03:32 PM
rmw

HiAll,

put some canes in to the ground, fill some plastic flower pots with straw or
dry grass, invert the pots on top of the canes, earwigs will go in there at
night, so empty the pots each morning and destroy the earwigs. hope this
helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.