Old 16-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Gary Woods

Default Clueless Merchants

I just got a 12,000 line email advert from J.E. Miller nurseries with
several graphics attached. To be fair, I did give them my email address
for order confirmation and updates.
Not all of us have fast connections, as I told them semi-politely...

Old 16-05-2003, 09:44 PM
The Cook

Gary Woods wrote:

I just got a 12,000 line email advert from J.E. Miller nurseries with
several graphics attached. To be fair, I did give them my email address
for order confirmation and updates.
Not all of us have fast connections, as I told them semi-politely...

I just canceled several newsletters. Some I had actually asked for
originally and the rest came when I ordered something. Now I look
very closely for a place to say "I do not want newsletters." But I
still want to know when (or if) the maple sugar candies are on sale.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 17-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Dave Allyn

I just got a 12,000 line email advert from J.E. Miller nurseries with
several graphics attached. To be fair, I did give them my email address
for order confirmation and updates.
Not all of us have fast connections, as I told them semi-politely...

On a slightly related topic.. I havn't been in this group long.. but
It is the first group I have ever posted to on this email addy...

Now I get upwards of 20 spams a day.. used to get maybe one a
week... sigh shoulda setup my email address differant like it is
now to begin with....

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Old 17-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 17 May 2003 04:50:15 GMT, "Dave Allyn"
(Dave Allyn) wrote:

I just got a 12,000 line email advert from J.E. Miller nurseries with
several graphics attached. To be fair, I did give them my email address
for order confirmation and updates.
Not all of us have fast connections, as I told them semi-politely...

On a slightly related topic.. I havn't been in this group long.. but
It is the first group I have ever posted to on this email addy...

Now I get upwards of 20 spams a day.. used to get maybe one a
week... sigh shoulda setup my email address differant like it is
now to begin with....

It's not the fault of this group. ANY place you publically post your
un-cyphered e-mail address will probably be mined.
Old 17-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Zphysics1

I just got a 12,000 line email advert from J.E. Miller nurseries with
several graphics attached. To be fair, I did give them my em

--- The flipside of this is I got an e-mail from the service manager ofa very
reputable car company wanting to know how we liked the service and that he is
there for us customers always. So, I e-mailed him back telling him what's wrong
with the service such as they forgot to install lo-jack , give us a spare key,
and told us that the parts they needed were on order when in fact they had it
on stock. The car was dirty after they had my car for a week!

When we met the manager face to face -- he said: Oh, I don't read my e-mails.

:-/

/z.
Old 20-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Pat Kiewicz

(Dave Allyn) wrote:

On a slightly related topic.. I havn't been in this group long.. but
It is the first group I have ever posted to on this email addy...

Now I get upwards of 20 spams a day.. used to get maybe one a
week... sigh shoulda setup my email address differant like it is
now to begin with....

It's not the fault of this group. ANY place you publically post your
un-cyphered e-mail address will probably be mined.

Some ISP are better at rejecting spam than others. Posting to this group doesn't
seem to be associated with much spam at my 'public' address , although there is
another group I occasionally post to which definitely causes a (temporary) surge in
spam.

I have a particular address I use for registering with web pages. It gets *loaded*
with spam. I have others which I keep completely private. These addresses
have both gotten at least one spam email, probably from a spam engine that
combines various and sundry initials to 'surname@[some_isp].'

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 21-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Dave Allyn

On a slightly related topic.. I havn't been in this group long.. but
It is the first group I have ever posted to on this email addy...

Now I get upwards of 20 spams a day.. used to get maybe one a
week... sigh shoulda setup my email address differant like it is
now to begin with....

It's not the fault of this group. ANY place you publically post your
un-cyphered e-mail address will probably be mined.

I wholeheartedly agree.. I wasn't blaming the group... just myself

I have a particular address I use for registering with web pages. It gets *loaded*
with spam. I have others which I keep completely private. These addresses
have both gotten at least one spam email, probably from a spam engine that
combines various and sundry initials to 'surname@[some_isp].'

yeah, i have a yahoo address I use alot too.... my current address
is not that old so it was rare to get spam. A buddy of mine has a
yahoo address he has had for 4 years. he gets 20-30 spams a day....

Old 21-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Jim Carter

On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:10:25 GMT, "Dave Allyn" (Dave Allyn)
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

yeah, i have a yahoo address I use alot too.... my current address
is not that old so it was rare to get spam. A buddy of mine has a
yahoo address he has had for 4 years. he gets 20-30 spams a day....

The address I use above is valid. The word "spam" in the address convinces the
address harvesters that they should disregard this address. I receive, on a
really bad day, about 5 spams to this address and usually I do not receive any!
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a