GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   HELPING CORN POLLINATE (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/22930-helping-corn-pollinate.html)

None 17-05-2003 02:08 PM

HELPING CORN POLLINATE

I have just planted a 6 x 6 plot of sweet corn in a 1ft x 1ft grid.

I understand that in order to get maximum pollenization for full ears I need to
help.
I am open for any advice this group can provide.

Thanks,

PJ
South Jersey

M. Tiefert 17-05-2003 07:32 PM

HELPING CORN POLLINATE

In article , OSPAM (None) wrote:
I have just planted a 6 x 6 plot of sweet corn in a 1ft x 1ft grid.

I understand that in order to get maximum pollenization for full ears I need
help.
I am open for any advice this group can provide.

While drinking your morning cup of coffee, you can wander around among
your corn shaking pollen from the pollen thingies (my mind just went
blank - I really do know the word! somewhere...) onto the silks. Or,
without a coffee mug (since you'll need two hands, shake the pollen into
a paper bag and then pour pollen from the bag onto the silks.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert:
http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Marj's Mini Mall: http://stores.tiefert.com/
Coleridge shop: http://www.cafeshops.com/coleridgestore
Marjorie's Morning Star: http://newsletter.tiefert.com/
science editing services: http://science.tiefert.com/

matfox 18-05-2003 01:44 AM

HELPING CORN POLLINATE

corn does not need help pollenating what it it needs for good pollenation is
to be planted in blocks at least 4 feet x 4 ft and planted at least 4 plants
per square foot. It also needs to be fertilized very heavily.
matfox