GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato blight (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/22956-tomato-blight.html)

rile 17-05-2003 05:08 PM

Tomato blight

Each year, I seem to get a type of blight on my tomatoes. It isn't a
big problem since the tomatoes keep producing until frost. Is there
something I can do early in their development to discourage the
blight?

Pam Rudd 18-05-2003 05:32 AM

Tomato blight

When last we left our heros, on 17 May 2003 09:07:15 -0700,
(rile) scribbled:

Each year, I seem to get a type of blight on my tomatoes. It isn't a
big problem since the tomatoes keep producing until frost. Is there
something I can do early in their development to discourage the
blight?

Mulch heavily so that rain or overhead watering doesn't splash
any of the soil around the plant onto it.

Pam, it's worth a try.

"ElissaAnn"

Ken Saunders 18-05-2003 07:44 PM

Tomato blight

Pam Rudd wrote in message . ..
When last we left our heros, on 17 May 2003 09:07:15 -0700,
(rile) scribbled:

Each year, I seem to get a type of blight on my tomatoes. It isn't a
big problem since the tomatoes keep producing until frost. Is there
something I can do early in their development to discourage the
blight?

Mulch heavily so that rain or overhead watering doesn't splash
any of the soil around the plant onto it.

Pam, it's worth a try.

I lost 50lb of tomatoes last year, here in East Anglia UK.
Absolutely gutted.

Jim Carter 18-05-2003 09:20 PM

Tomato blight

On 17 May 2003 09:07:15 -0700, (rile) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Each year, I seem to get a type of blight on my tomatoes. It isn't a
big problem since the tomatoes keep producing until frost. Is there
something I can do early in their development to discourage the
blight?

See
http://ceinfo.unh.edu/Counties/Hills...h/tomblite.htm for information.

Try to rotate your crops with a minimum of three years not growing tomatoes in
that location, preferably five years. Do not put the diseased plants in your
composter.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a

Pam Rudd 18-05-2003 11:20 PM

Tomato blight

When last we left our heros, on 18 May 2003 11:44:57 -0700,
(Ken Saunders) scribbled:

I lost 50lb of tomatoes last year, here in East Anglia UK.
Absolutely gutted.

To what? Some sort of tomato blight? How do you know it
was 50 lbs, did you get as far as green tomatoes on the vine?

What varieties did you grow? How did you grow them? How
was the blight introduced?

I lost most of my tomatoes before they ever produced last summer,
but it was in The War of the Thrips. The pink Brandywine held up
best. I'm going with mostly Brandywines this year, but I have a
few others to try. I also put a few in pots with commercially
produced potting soils, I'm hoping if I do battle with Minute
Minions of Evil this year, planting in a sterile medium will give
the plants an edge against tomato spotted wilt virus.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"