Old 19-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Herbert Snowden

Default Red Beet wont grow

My Red Beet seed if sown in the garden just wont grow so I start it
off in the greenhouse in blocks then put out in the garden as plants
but even then they dont grow very much i space them out so they can
swell up but they dont want to do anything can anyone help please.
Old 19-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Monique Reed

You may have better luck if you soak them first. See:
http://www.rain.org/~sals/soak.html

M. Reed

Old 20-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 19 May 2003 16:07:30 -0500, Monique Reed
wrote:

You may have better luck if you soak them first. See:
http://www.rain.org/~sals/soak.html

I've been having trouble with beet seeds this year also, and
I *have* pre-soaked them. They *still* don't want to
sprout.

The latest batch (soaking now) was also roughed up with
sandpaper. If this doesn't help, I'll knick the next trial
batch with a knife.

It's very annoying.

Pat
Old 20-05-2003, 07:44 PM
FarmerDill

My Red Beet seed if sown in the garden just wont grow so I start it
off in the greenhouse in blocks then put out in the garden as plants
but even then they dont grow very much i space them out so they can
swell up but they dont want to do anything can anyone help please.

If your problem is root formation, Since you started plants, I assume that you
do not have a germinationation problem, then a soil test may be in order. Th
most critical element for beets is potassium, whic as one poster has noted is
readily available in wood ash. Here in the sunny south, we cover the seed row,
I use remay, but many of the old timers just laid a plank over the row keeping
it dark and moist until the seed germinated.