Old 25-05-2003, 08:20 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default corn - shallow root or tap?

I recall someone mentioning here that corn is shallow rooted. I was
just getting rid of some sprouts that were unnecessary. While the
above ground was about 2' to 2.5" tall each had one large root that
went down 6-7". I was actually surprised to see such a deep root in
just 14 days after sowing seeds.

Is that what is referred to a tap root, or does a tap root have some
scientific definition that is based upon plant types.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 25-05-2003, 10:32 PM
jc

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
I recall someone mentioning here that corn is shallow rooted. I was
just getting rid of some sprouts that were unnecessary. While the
above ground was about 2' to 2.5" tall each had one large root that
went down 6-7". I was actually surprised to see such a deep root in
just 14 days after sowing seeds.

Corn is a fibrous-rooted plant in the grass family and, as such, does
not have a tap root like the legumes and many other plants. You may be
seeing the radicle which is a root that emerges from the seed as it
sprouts. Corn is pretty susceptible to problems with lodging (fallen
stalks), often without the help of insects or diseases, but because the
root system may be weak, particularly with some hybrids. After harvest,
I usually pull up the entire sweetcorn plant and shred it to use as
mulch and never see a taproot. Similarly, in plowing stalks under in
corfields, taproots have never been a factor. -Olin

Old 26-05-2003, 03:08 PM
DigitalVinyl

"jc" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
I recall someone mentioning here that corn is shallow rooted. I was
just getting rid of some sprouts that were unnecessary. While the
above ground was about 2' to 2.5" tall each had one large root that
went down 6-7". I was actually surprised to see such a deep root in
just 14 days after sowing seeds.

Corn is a fibrous-rooted plant in the grass family and, as such, does
not have a tap root like the legumes and many other plants. You may be
seeing the radicle which is a root that emerges from the seed as it
sprouts.

It was, right out from the planted kernel. Just surprised at pulling a
root 2-3x the height of the plant. All the other roots bushed out from
that central root.

Corn is pretty susceptible to problems with lodging (fallen
stalks), often without the help of insects or diseases, but because the
root system may be weak, particularly with some hybrids. After harvest,
I usually pull up the entire sweetcorn plant and shred it to use as
mulch and never see a taproot. Similarly, in plowing stalks under in
corfields, taproots have never been a factor. -Olin

Is that what is referred to a tap root, or does a tap root have some
scientific definition that is based upon plant types.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Tap, Tap, Tap.......... - LBTER/LBTR/CMDY/ASSC/ASS-C ˇGölök Z.L.F Buday AKA The Absent Mind?, AKA Ian Flaming?, AKA Frosty D'Hitman? Ponds 0 21-09-2007 02:10 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap.......... - LBTER/LBTR/CMDY/ASSC/ASS-C klunk Ponds 0 21-09-2007 09:54 AM
Saguaro Tap Root Damaged nonnymoose Gardening 3 21-01-2007 04:22 PM
Tap root question Andrew G Bonsai 8 03-09-2004 04:08 PM
Length of tap root on an oak tree? Bruce W.1 Gardening 6 06-01-2004 04:48 PM