GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Why are my strawberrys sending out runners this early??!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/28918-why-my-strawberrys-sending-out-runners-early.html)

dommy 26-05-2003 11:32 AM

Why are my strawberrys sending out runners this early??!!!

Hi all. Last autumn I got some strawberry plants from a friend and planted them in old potting compost in a box.

I have got some fruit on some of them but at the same time they are also sending out runners:confused:

I thought the runners are supposed to be sent out after the fruit has finnished and in the autumn time???

Anyone got any ideas? thanks

montana 26-05-2003 03:56 PM

Why are my strawberrys sending out runners this early??!!!

In article b178265b952f2f6fac962a68f62c1eef@TeraNews,
dommy wrote:

I thought the runners are supposed to be sent out after the fruit has
finnished and in the autumn time???

I had a huge strawberry patch for over a decade (so I'm a newbie in
gardening terms). I started with four plants of everbearing
strawberries. They sent off runners starting at bloom time, but once the
plants were mature enough to bloom, the runners would shoot off until
the end of the summer.