GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/29434-re-guidfe-what-plants-look-like-when-young-what-hell.html)

Pat Meadows 28-05-2003 02:20 PM

a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?

On Wed, 28 May 2003 09:08:06 -0400, Minteeleaf
wrote:

Pat Meadows wrote:

Unfortunately, we haven't room for corn - I've never grown
corn, so I don't know how I would grow it.

Pat

Pat, I've grown corn by direct ground seeding, in squares
or rectangles to help it pollinate, at a location where it
won't shade the other plants. My parents, who live near you,
have had great sweet corn for many years. It is a heavy feeder.
They liked the Golden Cross Bantam & Silver Queen varieties.

I wish we had room for it. But there's just no way.

Fortunately, we can buy good local corn in season.

Pat

Dave Allyn 29-05-2003 07:56 AM

a guidfe to what plants look like when young -or- what the hell is that?

I wish we had room for it. But there's just no way.

I agree.... It would take much more space than I have.....

Fortunately, we can buy good local corn in season.

There is a guy a few miles from me that plants aprox 5 acres of Sweet
evey year. (with his tractor/planter) Then he lets his grandkids do
all the harvisting, and selling and keep the money.. it has been
going for a buck a dozen and is usually sold out with-in three days...

It is a good by-color (not sure what kind) and is the sweetest I have
ever tasted....

I usually buy about 20-doz and put a bunch in the freezer...

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!