Old 29-05-2003, 05:21 AM
John S. DeBoo

Default Speaking of garlic...

I got a couple bunches from the store a few weeks ago that within 2
days started stemming from the cloves. So I of course stripped them
down and planted them, and of course they are growing like mad. Any
chance that they will produce edible bulbs or whatever you call them
this year or will they need to be left alone over winter and into
next year to produce?

I'm in Albuquerque, Zone 7.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 29-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Gary Woods

"John S. DeBoo" wrote:

Any
chance that they will produce edible bulbs or whatever you call them
this year or will they need to be left alone over winter and into
next year to produce?

They're likely softneck garlic, and in your location they should make bulbs
this year. Feed them your finest vintage compost and keep cleanly weeded.
You may need to water to keep soil moisture up... you're on your own on
that one.

Old 29-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Mark

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message ...
I got a couple bunches from the store a few weeks ago that within 2
days started stemming from the cloves. So I of course stripped them
down and planted them, and of course they are growing like mad. Any
chance that they will produce edible bulbs or whatever you call them
this year or will they need to be left alone over winter and into
next year to produce?

I'm in Albuquerque, Zone 7.

I tried that last year and nothing much happened: they grew for a
while them died back in the heat of summer. Then I got new planting
stock in the fall and planted around November -- it's all growing like
mad and I'm about ready to harvest.

Mark
Old 29-05-2003, 05:20 PM
jc

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message
I got a couple bunches from the store a few weeks ago that within 2
days started stemming from the cloves. So I of course stripped them
down and planted them, and of course they are growing like mad. Any
chance that they will produce edible bulbs or whatever you call them
this year or will they need to be left alone over winter and into
next year to produce?
I'm in Albuquerque, Zone 7.

Summers in Albuquerque are too hot and dry for garlic and for most
onions. USDA Zones only refer to cold hardiness. But hey, give it a
try. If you have an area that gets pm shade it might work. -Olin

Old 29-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Steve Calvin

jc wrote:
"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message

I got a couple bunches from the store a few weeks ago that within 2
days started stemming from the cloves. So I of course stripped them
down and planted them, and of course they are growing like mad. Any
chance that they will produce edible bulbs or whatever you call them
this year or will they need to be left alone over winter and into
next year to produce?
I'm in Albuquerque, Zone 7.

I doubt it. Garlic should be getting ready to die in a month or so
before the heat of summer. This fall, try getting some hardneck and
planting in late October. You've got nothing to lose by trying though.

--
Steve

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
speaking of garlic ..... John Savage Australia 1 19-04-2005 09:13 AM
Speaking of Ivies... Cowboy Plant Science 9 05-03-2003 07:56 AM
so speaking of snow... janet_a Orchids 19 27-02-2003 11:23 PM
[IBC] speaking of roots Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 28-01-2003 05:11 AM