Old 02-06-2003, 06:20 PM
paghat

Default garden police gone wild?

In article , Aaron Baugher
wrote:

animaux writes:

Not only did he threaten people, his 11 year old daughter said
something which put red flags up on the whole block. She asked
another little girl if she ever had sex, or wanted to have sex.
These are 11 year old girls.

You realize, of course, that some schools start sex education in
kindergarten nowadays. That may not be the case in your area, but
it's drastically jumping to conclusions to think an 11-year-old got
such curiosity at home, no matter how weird her family is otherwise.
They're getting bombarded with it from all sides.

If you hate someone because you're the sort of person who is all-round
filled with hate, tacking on "PLUS he rapes his children" is an easy
slander. It's only interesting that "he has a basketball hoop" was the
more important "crime" until people didn't agree, then "he rapes his kids"
was tacked on as secondary to having an unacceptable basketball hoop.

As in "it takes two to tango" it might or might not be true that the given
neighbor is a horrible crazy person; we certainly have no credible
testimony to it being so, but it is at least as likely that HE has crazy
neighbors!

-paggers

Come to think of it, when I was 11 years old, a school friend used to
pass around his mom's trashy romance novels -- the kind with fully
descriptive sex, not the tamer ones that stop at the bedroom door.
Luckily for their morals, most of the kids probably couldn't read yet.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 PM
animaux

That's right. Whats being done to your mother now is disgusting. I do recall
discussing that many months back. Our situation is completely different.

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:13:07 GMT, wrote:

There is a big difference because Victoria bought into this suburb KNOWING about the
rules. Nothing hidden, everything was in black and white on paper. Signing on the
dotted line meant agreeing to the rules set out. Most of the rules concern what
goes on it the front and public areas around the house. Ingrid

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:01:13 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
But don't you see the irony of the message thread you posted this in? I
guess not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 AM

I would call Child Protective Services, and you can be anonymous, regarding
concerns that sexual abuse is occurring in that house. Otherwise, the
little girl continues to be a victim and will grow up to be .... God knows
what.
Roz
azusa

Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 AM

paghat,
I believe the concern about the basketball hoop was that he used it to
sordidly display his he-man hunting prowess.
Roz
az usa

Old 03-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Warren

paghat wrote:

If you hate someone because you're the sort of person who is all-round
filled with hate, tacking on "PLUS he rapes his children" is an easy
slander. It's only interesting that "he has a basketball hoop" was the
more important "crime" until people didn't agree, then "he rapes his

kids"
was tacked on as secondary to having an unacceptable basketball hoop.

I'd have to agree.

Hanging game from a basketball hoop is an annoyance. It's not even in
the same league as raping his kids. "He rapes his kids" is not something
incidental to hanging game, or any other annoying habit or even all the
annoying habits you can come up with.

If there is *any* credible reason to believe that he may be molesting
his daughter, the right thing to do is not wait until you have "proof".
The right thing to do is report him to the proper authorities
immediately. If he is molesting his children, every day you wait is
another day of hell for them.

If your suspicions are so baseless that you feel reporting it is wrong,
then bringing it up in any forum says more about you than him.
Especially if you're bringing it up only to bolster your arguments that
his annoying habits are worth taking him to court.

For God's sake. Dead game hanging from a basketball hoop is nothing
compared to raping his children, and your primary concern has been your
declining property values. If you think he's raping his kids, REPORT IT.
Don't use it as an "...oh, and I think he also..." to justify your anger
at him for being an annoying neighbor.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 AM
animaux

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:23:59 GMT, "Warren" wrote:

paghat wrote:

[...]

First of all, nobody disagreed with me, then forced me to make any statement
about raping his kid. He has been reported to proper authorities for about 5
months. Three sets of parents on our block got together and made the report.
So far, nothing has proven conclusive that he is molesting her. So far.

The basketball hoop was not the thing. The dead animal was the inappropriate
use for it.

I'm sorry to anyone who was offended thinking I was ever comparing molestation
to something so mundane. I was not. Someone else eluded that I was.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Charlie

"animaux" wrote in message

We have the same ordinance as you. Trailers, boats, cars on blocks, etc.

are
not tolerated unless inside the fence and not seen from the street or

anyone
else's backyard. It's a civil matter. I've asked him for three years to

move
it. I'm giving him till August. I think I've been fair. It has been

recorded
for three years that I've wanted it out of sight, as well as have

signatures of
27 families who also want it out.

You're so pathetic! How is having a trailer outside someones house a
problem? Maybe in the UK we have different trailers to you, or maybe it's
because I grew up in the country where farmyard trailers were pretty normal
sights around peoples homes. Whichever, it's up yo him how he lives his
life! Why don't you take photo's and put them on a webpage so we can all
see when a terrible crime he's commiting.

You'd have a field day here - we have a meadow part of the garden, the
planting is all skewiff and a car on the driveway that's never moved - but I
LOVE it here!

I'm definatly glad people don't force colours upon us - our old window trims
are the same untercoated grey that they have been for years where we never
got round to finishing painting them.

I've never heard of restrictions on this sort of thing. America really
puzzles me sometimes.

Charlie.

Old 03-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

What is you problem, Charlie?

How does her jurisdiction having the ordinance make HER pathetic?

She isn't the one that made the law, you nimrod.

Posting pictures of her neighbors transgressions on the Internet might be
interpreted as harassment by some slick lawyer.

You limies have a lot of room to be poopooing crazy laws. Your country have
far more crazy laws and hundreds of years head start making them over us
poor Yankees.

For example, your country's draconian Cities restrictions have made
importing and exporting plants from your country impossible and has
seriously hurt your country's nursery trade. If that isn't crazy, what is?
Look in your own back yard before criticizing the country that saved your
up-tight asses in two world wars.

Old 03-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Charlie

I think it's pathetic that she's bothered about a trailer being left on a
front driveway! I also think it's pathetic that there are people who make
up stupid rules to say what colour you can or can't have your house painted,
that you can't have more than a certian amount of cars on your driveway or
that your grass can't be more than 2" long! It's ridiculous.

And yes, we had a "head start" over making laws, but at least our country
actually has history more than 200 years old.

And don't bring the World Wars into it, this is niether the time or the
place. At least we don't start them.

Charlie.

m...

Old 03-06-2003, 08:44 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Charlie" wrote:

I've never heard of restrictions on this sort of thing. America really
puzzles me sometimes.

I'm sure other countries have some communities like this. A variety of
planned communities have sprung up over the last 20-30. This is where
a small twon is virtually planned. Everything matches, there are color
schemes. More afluent commuities try to do similar things. Trust me
this only happens in well-to-do areas, often within sometimes gated
communities with clearly defined property limits. People pay to live
in these manicured suburbias. They have commitees that run them. Older
natural neighborhoods don't have such extremes. While town/city
ordances might adopt certain limitations on grass height to avoid
fires it would never apply to city-owned properties especially those
in poorer parts of town since they are the ones the city will allow to
be regularly overgrown with 5 foot high wild grasses and weeds.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 03-06-2003, 08:56 PM
paghat

In article , "Charlie"
wrote:

[...]

I don't like trailer houses myself. I seriously believe even "po' folk"
could be more aesthetic than that & an old wooden shed, a lean-to, or a
teepee could be beautiful in a way a trailer house never can be -- so
being poor isn't excuse enough to trucking in a square tin house &
plopping it down on a fourth of a lot right next door to another
quarter-lot just like it. There are exceptions. I've seen some vintage
trailers that have none of the horror-associations of doublewides & mobile
homes; people make fun of silverstreams that look like toasters, but I
think those are beautiful. You don't see that many. What you see is
rectangle tin boxes & doublewides that just reek of ugly.

Another exception: In Eugene there's a community of people who live in
cedar-shingled trucks & buses that people live in full-time, teency little
homes on wheels cute as the devil, an enclave mainly of old-time hippies.
Beautiful homes those are! And because very small, they live
minimal-consumer lives without nearly the number of harmful impacts
against nature.

But there's just no excuse for one of those rectangle tin boxes or a
double-wide. A metal doublewide that goes BANG CLACK! every time the sun
bakes the metal roof is built ugly & stays ugly, & being poor is no excuse
unless someone is saying poverty makes people inherently tasteless & ugly.
To live inside such ugliness makes way too many of the people therein
ugly.

But it isn't livin' poor makes people white trash, it's livin' ugly.
I've been in some back-wood areas of the Olympic Penninsula & even in the
woodland areas not far from Portland Oregon, & people are living in
hand-built shacks & cabins & log homes of the most extraodinary beauty &
charm, & I'm sure some people think of them as gobber-toothed hilljacks &
hilljanes going "hyuk hyuk," but I think they've selected a gorgeous way
of living without needing much money &without using up many of the earth's
resources.

So when I find myself thinking of terms of "Trailer Trash" I don't mean
the working poor or the rural minimalists or the shack-dwelling Snuffy
Smiths of the wilderness -- I mean ugly people in ugly tin houses living
ugly drunken lives, with a growing pile of beer bottles & tin cans just
off the porch where some alcholic Klan member tosses his empties & the
bean cans from the cold dinners his bruised-eyed cousin-wife opens for him
as dinner.

Rural farm life, though, with meadows instead of creepy lawns, THAT's an
aesthetic ideal to strive for, & the shocking thing is how many of the
ordinance-passing-small-town-politicians & home-association-nazis are
horrified by what in essence is an IMPROVEMENT over the life they'd rather
impose on everyone in the name of Property Values.

More & more people DO realize that Rustic is Better, but unfortunately it
is also not aesthetic to spend a lot of time arguing politics with morons,
so the morons end up passing the ordinances, & rusticity gets defined as
"run down" so that that wonderfully funky wooden garage by law has to be
torn down, though an ugly tin garage with a tin door is perfectly all
right. All the green margin trees get zoned as too close to a sidewalk or
not permitted overhang the road, so are all cut down, but paving over the
green margin to park on it is all right. Every meadow gets legally defined
as a hiding place for vermin & gets herbicided into dust, but turning your
property into a gravel pit is okay. Appling high-maintenance
chemical-devouring lawns are REQUIRED, when it's the noisy air-polluting
lawnmowers rather than the meadows that SHOULD be outlawed.

So when people start talking about the evil neighbors lawns being unmowed,
or a basketball hoop nailed over the garage door that has GOT to go, or a
Model T used as a giant planter, or whose window trim is painted an
unacceptable color -- you just know that these whiners' have sterile
imaginations & meaningless lives & will not be happy unless they can
impose their way on everyone until, as Malvina Reynolds put it, "they're
all made out of ticky-tacky & they all look just the same."

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 03-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Starlord

Thankfully there are many MANY areas in the USA where those HOA's are NOT
welcome nor even wanted. Most of the time it's a new track of homes that sets up
hoa's. And being a RENTER, I would not join one anyway, but if I ever did own a
home, (be it a house of trailer), I'd never live anyplace where a hoa could hog
tie you to their way of thinking.

This trailer park is at lest 50 years old, in the last 5 years, two old trailers
where replaced with newer ones (under 10 years old).

And as I said, I can still do all the gardening I want, what with some 300 Iris
and other plants growing, I'm always got something to do and with my astronomy
actives, they see my big dobsonian telescope in operation a lot too.

I once knew a guy who bought a home and set up his HAM Radio ant's up for his
radios, the HOA, which had no rules about those things, made up and passed a
rule saying he couldn't have them and when he wouldn't take them down the sued
and LOST, because the rules from the FCC superseaded any and all local rules.
Last time I was by his home he not only had those up but had a big dish up too.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ