GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   garden police gone wild? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/29773-garden-police-gone-wild.html)

Tom J 07-06-2003 06:32 PM

garden police gone wild?

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:09:43 -0400, Ann wrote:

Tom J expounded:

This entire thread remains clueless except for some insight by Vox....

Sorry, but I find Vox to be as rabid as Paghat on this one.

OK Ann, but living in a communality with hundreds of HOA's I see
none of the rantings validated.

Julia Green 07-06-2003 06:32 PM

garden police gone wild?

"paghat" wrote in message news:paghat-
The vast majority of Homeowner Associations automatically reject Jews.

And there's no Once Upon A Time about it, blacks & jews & gays know full
well that if they attempt to move into a HOA and have to pass a
committee's idea of proper muster, they're gonna be weeded out.

I'm having trouble with this assertion myself, Paghat. That HOA place we
lived in Montgomery Village? We're Jewish and so we many of our neighbors.
(Not the NAN neighbor though s.) Unless most of the rest of the country
is very different (which could be, I suppose...our area was voted by Utne
Mag as the most enlightened area to live in the country) and I'm just very
naive...

john wardle 07-06-2003 06:32 PM

garden police gone wild?

"paghat" wrote in message
In article , Rico
wrote:

[CLIPPED, some EXCELLENT stuff for a change! -- & what a relief to see
that not EVERYone is a head-in-hole Vox type! I will keep unclipped only
what I reply to, but anyone of intelligence will want to have read it
all.]

I've never heard of a Christian housing district. Are you sure of your
facts?

The vast majority of Homeowner Associations automatically reject Jews.
Saint Ole's original wordings & recommendations for how to form a
neighborhood corporation free of anyone but Christian whites even
prohibited Hindus, as if that were any great worry in San Clemente.

And how do they know someone is a jew? Are they checking some part of the
anatomy? The would be the first clue to not move in......

The racist, christian, conspirasy-theory organization "Retaking America"
which is worried about the One World Government's desire to force
integration of God's people with mud people,

Your bigotry is showing....

today still promotes
Homeowner Associations as a key weapon for the continuing & express
purpose of keeping neighborhoods exclusively white & "their kind" of
christian. Their charters of incorporation don't have to say all buyers
must be White Christian Patriots, but the purpose is fulfilled. Of course
when the Kamias Christian Homeowners Association named themselves that,
wanting their neighborhood to be exclusively Christian, they didn't
consciously want to be racists also, but that's the effect of it, &
whether they achieve a racist outcome "naturally" as part of their
ingrained culture or consciously as lunatics like those Retaking American
crackpots, it's ultimately the same thing.

So Hickery Woods Homeowner Association in Kentucky is Lutherans only, &
"coincidentally" whites only. Meadowglen Homeowners Association of
Michigan is a humongous & Christian enclave with something like six
Christian denominations represented. Apache Wells Homeowners Assoication
even puts in their charter that they're Christian only (most wouldn't
admit in their charters as it gives something to sue over). There is an
all-white Christian HOA in Washington DC right hemmed in by integrated &
predominantly black neighborhoods, if I recall it's called Brickland or
Broadland HOA.

The county government's round-about efforts to get that ultra-racist
Houston Homeowners Association (George Bush was formerly their explicit
pal while governor, though not standing up for them lately) has Christian
Patriots as their primary backers & fundraisers to help fight against the
county for the continued right to be racists & enforce their own
discriminatory housing. The three things that "just happen" to be true of
99% of Homeowner Associations is they're white, they're racist, & they
purport to be christian. Home Schooling, Christian Patriot, & Homeowner
Association -- they go together for the white separatist worldview.

But I wasn't addressing the far-right wacko versions. The NORMATIVE
Homeowner Association IS epitomized by the Palicido del Mar, since Saint
Ole set it up as THE model & all across America whites who could afford
to, & worried blacks ruined their "property values," set them up for
overtly racistpurposes.

There are rare & occasional exceptions. Brickle Homeowner Association, an
enormous enclave in Miami, defines itself as "Christ Centered." But they
are racially very integrated & work consciously to not be the horrifying
monstrously racist things that Homeowner Associations generally are.
There's no Jews or Hindus of course, but they'd likely welcome any who'd
convert, but it's a long way from Saint Ole's original plan for what HOAs
were supposed to do, & what most of them in fact do.

it can even be "gated" with
a guard at the front gate to protect middleclass whities from "crime"
which is a code-word for "******s."

People can get into these developments posed as joggers, and still rob
people that have let their guard down -- BECAUSE of the gate and the
guard. In the final analysis, it's unclear whether gated subdivisions
are more secure.

Of course they're no safer. They're also LESS moral, LESS decent, MORE
corrupt & disgusting -- but they like to THINK they're safer & moral & all
that stuff they're not. One would hope that what they are are targets.

It makes it legal to be upfront &
openly judgemental about why the mixed-race family is rejected from

buying
into the given community, & if they think they should have the right

sue over discrimination, tough.

This was prior to Shelley v. Kraemer, although I will agree that this
legacy of exclusion has had effects that persist to the present.
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/case33.htm

The Shlley v Kraemer case was very limited in its effect, it essentially
turned everything back to the states, most of which have done nothing
about it to this very day, though since California began taking action in
1998/99, a few other states (or counties within states) have followed;
things are changing right now. Shelly v Kraemer opened avenues for
potentially good new legislation that just never came about. As did a 1966
case of even greater importance that theoretically banned racist covenants
but racist covenants exist to this day & are enforced. The Shelly v
Kraemer case impacted only lands that were bequeathed to government
entities, & did settle once & for all that racist covenants did not have
to be honored by government entities. And it provided a citation to
attempt to apply the same standard in other circumstances, but unless
cases with additional contexts were actually brought to courts, nothing
really changes.

In the 60s such cases as Shelly v Kraemer were repeatedly cited for a
broading body of case law that prohibits public businesses & all sorts of
public as well as governmental entities from discrimination, but did not
greatly impact private clubs or incorporated semi-autonomus housing
communities. A huge body of case law that was state by state rather than
federal undermines the "right" or "privilege" to discriminate, but none of
it changed the reality of racist HOAs.

Nevertheless, the victims don't have to sue. There are government
agencies that will handle the situation, like the state Fair Employment
and Housing Commission.
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/s...-6841242c.html

If this origin has changed slightly over time, & such enclaves are no
longer fully dominated by the initial purpose to keep racism legal, it

is
only different insofar as there are now Chinese housing associations

here
in Washington, & lots of them in California wherein only middleclass

Latin
Americans are permitted to buy homes.

It is true that HOAs proliferated when they had become *the* main
vehicle to achieve racial discrimination in housing. Today, however,
anyone that's prevented from buying housing on the basis of national
origin, in California, can contact the Department of Fair Employment and
Housing.
http://www.dfeh.ca.gov/

This does not impact the "right" of HOAs to continue racist policies
though it makes it harder (in California at least) to foreclose on houses
of unwanted residents by fining them unjustly. It's one of a half-dozen
things that since 1998 have begun to whittle at, but my no means remove,
the "right" for HOAs to have racist policies, & this whittling is being
done state by state rather than federally (though some of the in-progress
cases may eventually reach the Supreme Court). California now has a half
dozen methods to "fight back" against racist HOA behavior, but cases have
to be taken selectively & proceed slowly. Senator Nakano's bill now
permits anti-racists within HOAs to sue the racists who run the places, &
Inouye's bill prohbits HUD funding & the like going into these racist
enclaves though they don't have to change their policies if they don't
take the funding. None of these tools have even started to cause places
like Placido del Mar to permit their enclaves to become integrated.
They'll go down in flames first.

And to make matters worse, there's no evidence that homeowner
associations protect property values. They're set up using that purpose
as justification for creating them.

The effect on "property value" was always merley a code-word for "come
join us if you're racist *******s too." Obviously a community full of
racist *******s is NEVER the ideal place to live & the fact that those
*******s run the places means they're worth less than they could've been.

I won't common on the rest below, but leave it unclipped, as some of it
really has an echo of hope in it -- especially that bit about real estate
companies now advertising "No HOAs!" as a marketing plus. It was a
marketing plus when Granny Artemis & I were looking for our home. When I
realized I could not stand to leave the city for a town UNLESS i could
find an integrated town (fortunately there are many of those to choose
from around here), this automatically ruled out HOA ruled enclaves because
having grown up in a mixed race (& mixed faith) family, I was totally
creeped out by 100% honky neighborhoods.

-paggers

In fact, there is evidence to the contrary.

As more and more HOAs are created, and more and more people relate their
experiences, people are getting wind that homebuyers pay for 'pretty'
with oppression-by-adhesion-contract, and you can get 'pretty' without
the oppression.

The uniform "beige" town (city) of Cary, NC, establishes that local
governments can be as persnickety as associations, and that associations
are unnecessary.

That's why "The term 'No HOA' is starting to crop up in real estate
classified ads in the Phoenix area, where almost all new homes are built
under an association's wing. 'For most people it is a real selling
point,' says Rachel Linden, an agent with Coldwell Banker Success
Realty. 'Homeowners associations can be a real pain in the butt.' "
[Kiplinger Magazine, September, 2000]

"[T]oo many developers are more concerned with the immediate marketing
of a property and not long-term value potential."
http://money.cnn.com/2002/03/15/pf/y...dcom/index.htm

Moreover, as housing with no HOAs becomes more scarce, relative to
housing with HOAs -- something that is clearly happening
http://members.cox.net/concernedhomeowners/NmbrHOAs.htm
the values of homes in jurisdictions governed by HOAs will decrease,
relative to those of homes in jurisdictions not governed by HOAs.

Not only don't HOAs protect property values now, they cannot protect
their values from the "invisible hand" -- the inevitable effects of the
free market forces of supply and demand.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

paghat 07-06-2003 06:44 PM

garden police gone wild?

In article , Tom J
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:09:43 -0400, Ann wrote:

Tom J expounded:

This entire thread remains clueless except for some insight by Vox....

Sorry, but I find Vox to be as rabid as Paghat on this one.

OK Ann, but living in a communality with hundreds of HOA's I see
none of the rantings validated.

Some people don't HAVE to care, so never even bother to look. You don't
see what you couldn't care less about.

Tell me what single community has HUNDREDS of HOAs while you're at it. By
HUNDREDS you mean 200 HOAs right in your neighborhood? Three or four
hundred? Six hundred? Should be easy for you to name 10% of them then, or
grab your Yellow Pages & list the ones that start with "S" -- that should
be a good 20 out of 200 right there.

Shit, ignorant people demanding & getting from me specifics of real
situtations with names & places named, & STILL persist in preferring the
myths you make up as you go along. It must be damned hard work to stay
ignorant in a world with such easy access to information.

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

paghat 07-06-2003 07:20 PM

garden police gone wild?

In article , "Julia Green"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message news:paghat-
The vast majority of Homeowner Associations automatically reject Jews.

And there's no Once Upon A Time about it, blacks & jews & gays know full
well that if they attempt to move into a HOA and have to pass a
committee's idea of proper muster, they're gonna be weeded out.

I'm having trouble with this assertion myself, Paghat. That HOA place we
lived in Montgomery Village? We're Jewish and so we many of our neighbors.
(Not the NAN neighbor though s.) Unless most of the rest of the country
is very different (which could be, I suppose...our area was voted by Utne
Mag as the most enlightened area to live in the country) and I'm just very
naive...

Some places like Seattle & Monterey, apparently also where you live, have
fully integrated HOAs & a policy to stay so. Others are just
"automatically" Jew Free without trying, & if a non-observant Jew wanted
to buy a house there, likely no one would even ask -- observant Jews would
no better than to try where there's no synogogue within fifty miles. But
intentinonally integrated HOAs the a distinct minority, & even some of
those, like the Miami integrated HOA, is for Christians only, of any race.
When the majority do advertise "Christian living" or at least distribute
lists of churches to prospective buyers, they're doing what they can to
keep YOU aware you might be comfier someplace else.

Would YOU have guessed a regular old Marin County HOA would expend months
of volunteer energy & easily get 600 signatures practically overnight in
their desire to stop Orthodox Jews from living just outside the boundaries
of their HOA -- as their first excuse for their behavior, a fear that
Orthodox Jews will be racing their cars through the neighborhoods on
Saturday while children play! When that one didn't wash, they had a
back-up preposterous excuse: synogogues are noisy. It's not like Marin
County is famously KKK dominated -- these were just "regular" Christian
people who couldn't stand the idea of a tiny handful of Jews in the next
neighborhood over. It indeed sounds just too ignorant to be true, but it's
what happened, it's what the Lucas Valley HOA expended all that energy
attempting to do (& failing, but causing a lot of unwanted expense & grief
not getting their way -- except they did get their way because now more
Jews know not to try to buy into HOA districts).

This sort of thing is not all one-way, though Jews who avoid living with
black folks don't usually try to incorporate their neighborhood, so it's
not an issue of HOA racism. I lived in the Jewish Maplewood district of
Seattle for years, in walking distance of a synogogue, with several delis,
but over time the neighborhood became black. The older community began to
close their businesses, finally closed the synogogue & built a new one on
Mercer Island, & all the observant Jews sold their houses within an
18-month period & movedto Mercer Island to a Black Free zone. Even those
of us who were very little observant or not at all, who remained longest,
slowly wandered on, because a neighborhood full of catfish joints & soul
burgers wasn't quite the same as neighborhood delis & latkes a short walk
away. When I run into friends from that no-longer-Jewish old neighborhood,
I used to ask, "Why'd everyone have to leave all of a sudden?" There
could've been lots of answer, the neighborhood really had deteriorated,
the high school kids in one of the city's largest high schools could be a
nuisance. But the answer was never complex; it was always one word only:
"Shfartza!"

So it's not only goyim who have deeply ingrained very bad attitudes; &
it's true these sorry-ass attitudes don't make everyone awful in every
aspect of their lives. But being one church or synogogue at a time in need
of a greater moral tolerance is quite different than incorporating a
neighborhood so that bigotry can have a little weight of law behind it to
sustain. HOAs would not exist today if the primary intent was to make sure
everyone mowed their lawn often enough. It is quite a complicated
procedure to incorporate a neighborhood as a semi-independent
self-governing body, & the ONLY privileges they have that one doesn't have
outside the reach of the HOA is they get to personally level fines against
people rather than having the fire department do it on the basis of city
or county regulations instead of HOA rules, & they get to assess who their
neighbors are permitted to be before sales are final, thereby voiding the
majority of Civil Rights gains. Obviously blacks get it LOTSworse than
Jews, & especially as a non-observant Jew it becomes easy to be 100%
assimilated & buddies primarily with goyim, including even goyim who have
issues with blacks but think we're just fine.

But when these enclaves define themselves as Christian and/or advertise
how many churches their community has (INVARIABLY leaving off the lists
the only synogogue & the only Buddhist temple), the message is pretty
damned clear without them having to be more explicit. That HOAs do
additionally commonly ban together to harrass nearby minorities may be
outside the law, but is certainly a related manner, as when the Placido
del Mar broke tirelessly harrassed an elderly Malaysian woman, from
spraypainting warnings on her house to breaking a water main beside her
house & refusing to fix it, & only after ten years of this kind of
continuous hate-tactics was the government finally forced to move against
the HOA. If you think these same people LIKE Jews, you've clearly made it
easy for them to not notice you are one, in the same way faggots & dykes
learn to keep heads down. Which is not to say you might be wonderfully
lucky to live in a genuinely liberal area, & no reason to look TOO hard
for another underlying reality.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

paghat 07-06-2003 07:32 PM

garden police gone wild?

In article ,
"john wardle" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
In article , Rico
wrote:

[...]

integration of God's people with mud people, today still promotes
Homeowner Associations as a key weapon for the continuing & express
purpose of keeping neighborhoods exclusively white & "their kind" of
christian.

Your bigotry is showing....

I'm just a little surprised you'd define disliking an avowedly racist
movement (which supports HOAs because HOAs is a short-cut to preserving
their right to enforce discrimination in an entire neighborhood) as itself
bigotted. Okay, i LOVE bigots, I hope my neighborhood FILLS UP with
bigots. If I refuse to attend their queer-bashing party or don't take my
turn burning crosses on a black family's lawn, am I still a bigot not to
help out?

I know, I know, you were being satiric, & you don't share Retaking
AMerica's conviction that Black & Jewish Mud People, assisted by the
United Nations, are taking over America. But the creepier sorts
participating in this thread are going to think you weren't pretending &
that you're a complete dunderhead like themselves!

However, when Retaking America came out against "evil" King Bush II,
Master of the One World Order, for waging war because of pretend-weopons
of destruction, I had this creepy feeling that I agreed with them about
something -- as creepy as the VERY LAST TIME i ever showed up to picket
against an offensive film & found that that Holy Rollers were also
picketing it. Inducing me to buy a ticket. The film turned out to be okay.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Ann 07-06-2003 07:44 PM

garden police gone wild?

(paghat) expounded:

And if the Boston Globe made racism in that city a priority for their news
coverage, they wouldn't have any room left to report anything good about
Irish Catholics.

Bullshit, Paghat, ranting to the extreme isn't going to get you
anywhere on your arguments. There's plenty of racism reported in the
newspapers, it's a hot topic around here, and there are plenty of non
irish catholics, too. You throw around your own kind of prejudice and
racism with your generalizations and rants. Let's stick to gardening.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Ann 07-06-2003 07:44 PM

garden police gone wild?

Tom J expounded:

OK Ann, but living in a communality with hundreds of HOA's I see
none of the rantings validated.

Oh, the racial stuff? No, I've seen none of that around here, either,
I'd say at least the whole of the east coast, from Virginia on up,
there isn't any of that going on. She's always over the top on her
prejudice issues of any race or creed.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Tom J 07-06-2003 07:44 PM

garden police gone wild?

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 09:30:49 -0700, Tom J
wrote:

communality

damn speil chicker!

Julia Green 07-06-2003 07:56 PM

garden police gone wild?

"paghat" wrote in message

Would YOU have guessed a regular old Marin County HOA would expend months
of volunteer energy & easily get 600 signatures practically overnight in
their desire to stop Orthodox Jews from living just outside the boundaries
of their HOA -- as their first excuse for their behavior, a fear that
Orthodox Jews will be racing their cars through the neighborhoods on
Saturday while children play!

That is truly bizarre!

But when these enclaves define themselves as Christian and/or advertise
how many churches their community has (INVARIABLY leaving off the lists
the only synogogue & the only Buddhist temple), the message is pretty
damned clear without them having to be more explicit.

Whenever I see anything defining themselves as "Christian", I'm afraid my
prejudices come to the fore. I have an extremely gut-negative response! My
experiences with people who make a big deal about being Christian is that
they are anything *but. Yuck.

If you think these same people LIKE Jews, you've clearly made it
easy for them to not notice you are one, in the same way faggots & dykes
learn to keep heads down.

We've always had a mezuzah on our door wherever we've lived. Not terribly
noticable I suppose and most people, if they did notice it, wouldn't have
any idea what it meant anyway. Where we lived with the HOA also had a
synagogue, so, obviously not the typical (if you are right about most of the
rest of the country) HOA community. My husband, though, is *stereoypically
Jewish looking. Dark, bearded, large aquiline nose, etc. I've run into the
occassional redneck out here who has (without knowing I was Jewish) made
disparaging comments about Jews, but, overall, this area (with the highest
education level in the country and in the top ten for household income) is
quite enlightened and diverse. I suppose I do take it for granted at this
point and would have a hard time living anywhere else.

Which is not to say you might be wonderfully
lucky to live in a genuinely liberal area, & no reason to look TOO hard
for another underlying reality.

Yup.

Tom J 07-06-2003 08:44 PM

garden police gone wild?

OK Ann, but living in a communality with hundreds of HOA's I see
none of the rantings validated.

I can't see what's NOT there.

I'm aware of over 200 HOA's in Clark County Nevada. I've worked in at
least 100 different HOA's in my days as a landscaper. Most use
management companies to run their day to day operations. There are at
least 10 Synagogues as well as 4 Mosques around the Valley. I've lived
in 3 HOA's with Gay, Hindu, Hebrew, Buddhist, Christian, Black, Brown,
White, Red and Yellow neighbors. The world still suffers from the
horrible abuses of racism.....but not in my front yard. I work for a
company that celebrates diversity and encourages diversity.

half empty half full, either way ther's a long way to go, I just don't
see the world as evil as you.

Vox Humana 08-06-2003 12:56 AM

garden police gone wild?

"Tom J" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:09:43 -0400, Ann wrote:

Tom J expounded:

This entire thread remains clueless except for some insight by Vox....

Sorry, but I find Vox to be as rabid as Paghat on this one.

OK Ann, but living in a communality with hundreds of HOA's I see
none of the rantings validated.

I agree. I don't see anything rabid in my arguments. If there is some flaw
of logic, then address it. To call someone "rabid" because you don't like
their viewpoint is simply an ad hominem attack. Out of the 150 homes in my
subdivision, only about two or three have any serious, ongoing violations.
They are the same two or three people who continue to ignore the contract
that they signed at closing. No one comes to meetings. That indicates to
me that people aren't upset about the situation. I don't hear any neighbors
ranting about the rules.

My position on the subject is simple. HOA rules are on file in your county
courthouse. You should ask to see a copy before you sign the planned unit
development rider at closing. You should talk to the people in the
neighboring houses to see what they think about the level of enforcement.
You might want to call the management company or board president. If you
sign the agreement the you should expect to live by the agreement. In
exchange for the restrictions, you have an assurance that your neighborhood
will remain as good (or bad) as it was when you moved in. You will
probably have the use of some common areas including a pool, tennis courts,
playground, and/or clubhouse. Don't expect the basic covenants and
restrictions to be changed or abolished. You can participate in the actions
of the board and change things like the architectural rules that are at the
discretion of the board. HOA are bound by Federal, state, and local civil
rights laws. HOAs generally don't get involved with the sale of your home
except to specify the type of "for sale" sign that you place in your yard.

Vox Humana 08-06-2003 12:56 AM

garden police gone wild?

"paghat" wrote in message
In article , Tom J
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 11:09:43 -0400, Ann wrote:

Tom J expounded:

This entire thread remains clueless except for some insight by Vox....

Sorry, but I find Vox to be as rabid as Paghat on this one.

OK Ann, but living in a communality with hundreds of HOA's I see
none of the rantings validated.

Some people don't HAVE to care, so never even bother to look. You don't
see what you couldn't care less about.

Tell me what single community has HUNDREDS of HOAs while you're at it. By
HUNDREDS you mean 200 HOAs right in your neighborhood? Three or four
hundred? Six hundred? Should be easy for you to name 10% of them then, or
grab your Yellow Pages & list the ones that start with "S" -- that should
be a good 20 out of 200 right there.

Someone mentioned that they lived in an area called Montgomery Village that
had a lot of HOAs. If you go to the Montgomery County HOA page you will see
a list of over 800 HOA listed.
http://www.communitiesonline.org/sta...ontgomery/hoa/

Julia Green 08-06-2003 01:32 AM

garden police gone wild?

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

Someone mentioned that they lived in an area called Montgomery Village

that
had a lot of HOAs. If you go to the Montgomery County HOA page you will

see
a list of over 800 HOA listed.
http://www.communitiesonline.org/sta...ontgomery/hoa/

Those are HOAs for the entire *county of Montgomery. It's in Maryland and
is a suburb of DC.

animaux 08-06-2003 02:08 AM

garden police gone wild?

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:26:57 -0700, Tom J wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:30:48 -0400, Ann wrote:

Now you've taken this a bit over the top.

NOW?!!

This entire thread remains clueless except for some insight by Vox....

Paggers is clueless and ranting IMO.

Pepsi through the nose. Thanks! BTW, on my second batch of tea. I'm
impressed.