GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato transplants--snip the branches too low to the ground? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/29833-tomato-transplants-snip-branches-too-low-ground.html)

DigitalVinyl 30-05-2003 08:45 PM

Tomato transplants--snip the branches too low to the ground?

I deep planted my tomato transplants, about an extra 4 inches. this
left one to two sizeable branches (the largest on one of 'em) running
close or against the ground.

SHould I cut these off?

is it healthy to have them against the ground?

I'm always finding dirt on the the leaves as the ends of them flat on
the ground.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Keith Karausky 30-05-2003 09:08 PM

Tomato transplants--snip the branches too low to the ground?

Some do, Some don't, I do.

Repeating Decimal 30-05-2003 09:08 PM

Tomato transplants--snip the branches too low to the ground?

in article , DigitalVinyl at
wrote on 5/30/03 12:43 PM:

I deep planted my tomato transplants, about an extra 4 inches. this
left one to two sizeable branches (the largest on one of 'em) running
close or against the ground.

SHould I cut these off?

is it healthy to have them against the ground?

I'm always finding dirt on the the leaves as the ends of them flat on
the ground.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Don't worry. Keep things simple.

Bill

Pat Kiewicz 31-05-2003 11:09 AM

DigitalVinyl said:

I deep planted my tomato transplants, about an extra 4 inches. this
left one to two sizeable branches (the largest on one of 'em) running
close or against the ground.

SHould I cut these off?

I don't cut off any healthy foliage on transplants, and only prune side shoots
on staked tomatoes.

Put some clean mulch under the plants if you are worried. Chopped straw on
newspaper, dried grass clippings, or (what really seems to make my tomatoes
happy) shredded leaves mixed with cocoashells and coffeegrounds.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

DigitalVinyl 02-06-2003 12:32 AM

Tomato transplants--snip the branches too low to the ground?

Thanks to all. I will leave them alone and only clip them only if
there is a problem.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)