Old 01-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Fish

Default Kill Ants Organically?

Is there any way to kill ants organically? We have tried pouring boiling
water on the colony, but it is just too large. Are there any natural
predators of ants that could survive in a south-western Virginia climate?

Thanks

Fish
Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 AM
The Tucson Bender

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 15:35:34 -0400, Fish wrote:

Is there any way to kill ants organically? We have tried pouring boiling
water on the colony, but it is just too large. Are there any natural
predators of ants that could survive in a south-western Virginia climate?

-----
What kind of ants and what are you trying to grow?

Many ants are beneficial when it comes to biological control. Plus
they do a good job of aerating soils -- important if you don't have
many earthworms.

Being in sw VA, I doubt you get either Texas leafcutters or Texas fire
ants. Both of those are bad news and tough to eliminate or reduce.

I've heard folks use a solution of boric acid and sugar mixed in water
to get rid of some nuisance ants -- like in the house. You can buy a
premixed product called "Terro". The boric acid is the active agent
that does the nasty work when they take it back to the nest. Probably
not a true "organic" solution or product though.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Bob Mounger

Fish wrote:

Is there any way to kill ants organically? We have tried pouring boiling
water on the colony, but it is just too large. Are there any natural
predators of ants that could survive in a south-western Virginia climate?

Thanks

Fish

Would you consider orange oil?
http://www.orangeguard.com/

We have had good results in Texas with this.

--
Bob Mounger
Old 03-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Margaret Kenna

"B. Joshua Rosen" wrote:

Is there any way to kill ants organically? We have tried pouring
boiling water on the colony, but it is just too large. Are there any
natural predators of ants that could survive in a south-western
Virginia climate?

Hot water sounds about as inorganic as you can go.

What makes you say that ?

Bill

There is no carbon in water, i.e. it's inorganic.

So use carbonated water.

Old 03-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Eileen Gregory

I've never tried this, but think it's a great idea. Mix sugar and yeast, let
ants eat. When moisture inside ants causes yeast to grow, ants explode.
This may only work indoors since the yeast sugar mix would need to be kept
dry. Sounds like your trouble is outside, but I thought I would toss out the
idea anyway.
Good luck,
Eileen