Old 02-06-2003, 10:20 PM
ROBERT O'REILLY

Default GROWING POTATOES IN DRUMS?

i heard that you can take a 55-gal. drum,put about a foot of soil in
it, and plant potatoes. as the folage grows, keep adding soil till the
drum is near full. let grow for whatever time a potato takes,(never
grew them before), and dump the drum, yeilding alot of potatoes in a
small space. heard this will work for sweet potatoes as well. anyone
have any insight on this?
thanks for any and all info.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:32 AM
len

"ROBERT O'REILLY" wrote in message
om...
i heard that you can take a 55-gal. drum,put about a foot of soil in
it, and plant potatoes. as the folage grows, keep adding soil till the
drum is near full. let grow for whatever time a potato takes,(never
grew them before), and dump the drum, yeilding alot of potatoes in a
small space. heard this will work for sweet potatoes as well. anyone
have any insight on this?
thanks for any and all info.

Light would be your problem, in this case. An easier thing might be tires,
as the plant grows, you add additional tires and dirt. That way, your plant
gets good light, and harvesting will be easier. Imagine opening a 55 gal
drum, or flipping it over. But don't spend too much time on it, because
nothing is going to grow in the bottom of it

Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

I prefer to use a fairly "smallish holed" wire netting formed into a
circle.......this allows light in......otherwise do as you plan.......it
does work......HW

Old 03-06-2003, 05:32 PM
FarmerDill

i heard that you can take a 55-gal. drum,put about a foot of soil in
it, and plant potatoes. as the folage grows, keep adding soil till the
drum is near full. let grow for whatever time a potato takes,(never
grew them before), and dump the drum, yeilding alot of potatoes in a
small space. heard this will work for sweet potatoes as well. anyone
have any insight on this?
thanks for any and all info.

The tower method works, but you would have a hard time getting the plants
started in a drum. Tires, wire cages , wooden boxes etc that can be stacked or
covered as the plant grows is preferable. Usually the Irish potatoes are
planted in the ground the tower built over them using mulch (old hay straw etc)
not soil. Works weel for Irish potatoes but sweet potatoes are a true root crop
with entirely different requirements.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:08 PM
ROBERT O'REILLY

thanks to all who replied. i have a roll of 2x4 fence mesh. will that
work? should i wrap the mesh with plastic or visqueine to hold in the
soil? also, will sweet potatoes grow this way?
Old 04-06-2003, 03:32 AM
John S. DeBoo

ROBERT O'REILLY wrote:

i heard that you can take a 55-gal. drum,put about a foot of soil in
it, and plant potatoes. as the folage grows, keep adding soil till the
drum is near full. let grow for whatever time a potato takes,(never
grew them before), and dump the drum, yeilding alot of potatoes in a
small space. heard this will work for sweet potatoes as well. anyone
have any insight on this?
thanks for any and all info.

The best *sounding* idea I heard was growing them in a short stack of old
tires. When ready to harvest, push over the stack and pick them from the
dirt. No shovel slices etc. I tried it and my dirt was so damned hard I
almost needed a truck to push over 3 high a stack of tiresG. It was
harder than cement! If your dirt is good this sure seems like a winner
anyway.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 04-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

thanks to all who replied. i have a roll of 2x4 fence mesh. will that
work? should i wrap the mesh with plastic or visqueine to hold in the
soil? //////no no no///////you might just as well use a steel drum

///////almost the same as a plastic lined mesh......HW

Old 04-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 19:31:45 -0600, "John S. DeBoo"
wrote:

The best *sounding* idea I heard was growing them in a short stack of old
tires. When ready to harvest, push over the stack and pick them from the
dirt. No shovel slices etc. I tried it and my dirt was so damned hard I
almost needed a truck to push over 3 high a stack of tiresG. It was
harder than cement! If your dirt is good this sure seems like a winner
anyway.

If we had gotten to it this spring (we didn't - there were
higher priority tasks), that's how I'd have grown potatoes.
I'll be doing it next year, for sure.

Pat
Old 05-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Barrie Mather

John S. DeBoo wrote:

ROBERT O'REILLY wrote:

[...]

I've tried this with a sttack of tyres several times but it doesn't work for me

Getting enough soil to fill the body of the tyre leaves a big hole in
your dirt If you dont fill the tyre, the developing plants are left with
their tails in the water

Barrie
Mycurrentt theory is that each time you put in more soil, you must put
in more spuds as well

Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Craig Leffel

Ortho put out a very nice little book on "Gardening in Containers". It says
that a 6 gallon paint bucket is just fine. (It even tells how to grow corn
in containers.)

Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Cristine

I'm currently growing potatoes with the tire method. I started with two tires and now
I'm up to four tires. My plants are flowering and looking lovely. If all goes well,
I should have a great crop of potatoes.

I'll let you know

Cristine

Old 28-05-2012, 03:21 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT O'REILLY View Post
i heard that you can take a 55-gal. drum,put about a foot of soil in
it, and plant potatoes. as the folage grows, keep adding soil till the
drum is near full. let grow for whatever time a potato takes,(never
grew them before), and dump the drum, yeilding alot of potatoes in a
small space. heard this will work for sweet potatoes as well. anyone
have any insight on this?
thanks for any and all info.
I did a drum with sweet potatoes this year and what I did was take a plastic 55 gal drum and drilled holes around it at three different levels eight at each level and planted my slips through the holes. I used composted leaves and composted manure so the water would run throughout well and also keep its dampness. This is my first attempt so I will see how it goes and keep you updated if your interested.
Attached Thumbnails
GROWING POTATOES IN DRUMS?-2012-05-25-05.59.19.jpg

Cheap plastic drums for sale on craigslist Gary Brady[_3_] Texas 0 07-03-2009 02:54 PM
Roller Drums for tissue culture; a question of rotation speed Al Orchids 35 01-02-2004 06:23 PM
Drums - 7 pc TAMA SwingStars jim wheeler North Carolina 1 16-11-2003 02:12 PM
Distant Drums Fall 2003 Shiva Roses 9 03-11-2003 06:13 AM
Distant Drums' First Fall Shiva Roses 4 16-10-2003 01:12 AM