GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My new quince trees are wilting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/30274-my-new-quince-trees-wilting.html)

Chris 03-06-2003 01:20 AM

My new quince trees are wilting

Here in the Hudson River Valley, we've had a huge amount of rain these
past few weeks (about 1 2/3" in the past week alone) and one of my two
newly planted quince trees seem to be wilting away. There hasn't been
any dropped leaves, but it looks like only a matter of time.

The other quince tree is doing just fine. This tree is further out in
the open and probably gets *more* rain than the one in question.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this matter. Needless to say, I
have no experience with quince trees, so I may be missing something
that's very obvious to others.

Thanks,
Chris

Steve Calvin 03-06-2003 01:32 AM

Chris wrote:
Here in the Hudson River Valley, we've had a huge amount of rain these
past few weeks (about 1 2/3" in the past week alone) and one of my two
newly planted quince trees seem to be wilting away. There hasn't been
any dropped leaves, but it looks like only a matter of time.

The other quince tree is doing just fine. This tree is further out in
the open and probably gets *more* rain than the one in question.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this matter. Needless to say, I
have no experience with quince trees, so I may be missing something
that's very obvious to others.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris. I'm in th Hudson Valley too and know what you mean about all
of the rain. I really am not familiar with quince trees but are they
in the same type of soil? Is one in a "low" spot with poor drainage
possibly?

--
Steve

Chris 03-06-2003 08:32 PM

My new quince trees are wilting

They are planted about 15' from each other and the one that's doing
fine is actually a couple of feet lower than the other. I assume the
soil is the same due to their proximity.
I spot watered the problem child last night to no avail. Barring any
recommendations, I'm going keep a watchful eye, but little else.

Thanks,
Chris

Steve Calvin 04-06-2003 02:32 PM

Chris wrote:
They are planted about 15' from each other and the one that's doing
fine is actually a couple of feet lower than the other. I assume the
soil is the same due to their proximity.
I spot watered the problem child last night to no avail. Barring any
recommendations, I'm going keep a watchful eye, but little else.

Thanks,
Chris

Hm, don't know then. sorry.

I don't know where you are in the Valley but if you're in the Kingston,
Poughkeepsie, or Newburgh area you may want to ask someone at Adams Nursery.

--
Steve