Old 04-06-2003, 11:08 PM
zxcvbob

Default Planting onion seeds now

What will happen? I never got around to planting them in the early spring,
and I know the seeds will be no good next year. These are cheap hybrid
long-day onions (I don't recall the variety). The days are already about
16 hours long up here. The weather is also unseasonably cool and damp,
which would be a good thing for the young onions.

I know there's no chance of getting big onion bulbs because the days are
too long already. But will I get something useful for "spring onions" or
scallions, or will they just get confused and die?

Thanks, regards,
Bob

Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Jim

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:02:43 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

What will happen? I never got around to planting them in the early spring,
and I know the seeds will be no good next year.

Why not? Seeds, if properly stored, will last many years, with a
slight decrease in germination percent each year. I have successfully
planted 10 year old seeds numerous times....

These are cheap hybrid long-day onions (I don't recall the variety).
The days are already about 16 hours long up here.

Where is 'up here'? I'm at 49 degrees N and the days are almost 18
hours long.....

The weather is also unseasonably cool and damp,
which would be a good thing for the young onions.

But not for germination.

I know there's no chance of getting big onion bulbs because the days are
too long already. But will I get something useful for "spring onions" or
scallions, or will they just get confused and die?

Can't hurt to try, (plant some, save some) then tell us how it went...
I'd like to know myself, since I always plant onion sets or plants.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 05-06-2003, 12:44 AM
zxcvbob

Jim wrote:

Why not? Seeds, if properly stored, will last many years, with a
slight decrease in germination percent each year. I have successfully
planted 10 year old seeds numerous times....

Onion seeds do not remain viable more than about a year. If I save them
until next year, a few will probably germinate but not many. OTOH, I
routinely save tomato and peppers seeds for 5 or 6 years.

Best regards,
Bob, in Minnesota

Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Pat Kiewicz

zxcvbob said:

What will happen? I never got around to planting them in the early spring,
and I know the seeds will be no good next year. These are cheap hybrid
long-day onions (I don't recall the variety). The days are already about
16 hours long up here. The weather is also unseasonably cool and damp,
which would be a good thing for the young onions.

I know there's no chance of getting big onion bulbs because the days are
too long already. But will I get something useful for "spring onions" or
scallions, or will they just get confused and die?

They will attempt to bulb but won't mature (and won't store). You'll have
to harvest them as green onions (bulby ones, likely).

Anything after the very first of May is too late to seed onions here in Michigan,
if you want mature storage onions. Even that is cutting it close. (One of the
bulletins from the extension service this May was specifically about it being
too late to plant storage onions.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 05-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:38:34 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Jim wrote:

Why not? Seeds, if properly stored, will last many years, with a
slight decrease in germination percent each year. I have successfully
planted 10 year old seeds numerous times....

Onion seeds do not remain viable more than about a year. If I save them
until next year, a few will probably germinate but not many.

Well, then -- why ask? Plant 'em and see what happens. Or if you don't
want to invest the labor of planting, weeding and watering a suspect
crop, toss 'em.

Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
Planting Onion sets DJBrenton United Kingdom 2 06-10-2004 07:54 PM
Planting Onion Sets mary Gardening 0 25-06-2004 03:02 PM
planting onion seeds zxcvbob Edible Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:08 PM