GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tiny "Klingons" on my garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/30730-tiny-klingons-my-garlic.html)

Mark 06-06-2003 01:32 AM

Tiny "Klingons" on my garlic

I dug up a couple of my elephant garlic today (baseball-sized, thank
you very much) and discovered three or four tiny, hard nodules
attached to each.

These nodules are yellower than the rest of the bulb, they are
super-hard, but they smell and taste like garlic ought to.

They look like tiny individual garlic cloves, but they aren't
interspersed with the rest of the cloves; they are more or less
simply attached to the outside of the bulb proper.

What the hell are these things? Can I plant them?

Mark

Gary Woods 06-06-2003 01:56 AM

Tiny "Klingons" on my garlic

(Mark) wrote:

What the hell are these things? Can I plant them?

They're corms. (I think; I am NOT a botanist). You can plant them perhaps
an inch deep and get more elephant garlic in a couple of seasons. They
store well.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods