Old 10-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Jean S. Barto

Default How to get rid of voles?

My friend has voles in his lawn and garden, and lately they have been eating
the roots and killing some of his garden plants and shrubs--the latest
victims have been some spinach plants and a blueberry bush. Is there a
non-chemical way to get rid of them? They are digging into his garden and
shrub beds from the nearby lawn.

Thanks in advance,

Jean in VA

--
"If you are going through hell, keep going."

Winston Churchill

Old 10-06-2003, 03:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Perth, Ontario, Canada

A cat. Plant some catnip, if necessary.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:20 AM
B & J

"Jean S. Barto" wrote in message
My friend has voles in his lawn and garden, and lately they have been

eating
the roots and killing some of his garden plants and shrubs--the latest
victims have been some spinach plants and a blueberry bush. Is there a
non-chemical way to get rid of them? They are digging into his garden and
shrub beds from the nearby lawn.

Thanks in advance,

Jean in VA

Buy a bunch of mouse traps, bait the traps with peanut better, and place
them in the area with the voles. I took care of a bunch of voles that were
chewing holes in my squash that way.

John

Old 10-06-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

Read this website:

http://www.mole-med-inc.com/

Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

My friend has voles in his lawn and garden, and lately they have been eating
the roots and killing some of his garden plants and shrubs--the latest
victims have been some spinach plants and a blueberry bush. Is there a
non-chemical way to get rid of them? They are digging into his garden and
shrub beds from the nearby lawn.

Meow, meow!

Ms. Katycat, Vole Hunter Extraordinaire

Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Betsy

My cats are doing a marvelous job. I find at least one dead, chewed up vole
in my house (usually dropped precisely on a "pathway") daily. Yuk. You
know what's really gross? Stepping on them with bare feet. EWWWWWWWW!

Old 12-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Jan Flora

Praise your cats. They are bringing the voles for you to eat. The cats love you,
so they are bringing you food. To a cat, that's the highest compliment possible.

Jan

Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 PM
dkat

You can borrow my cat.... (it is getting rather creepy... he has been
putting his kill on a flat rock in the yard... it is beginning to look like
a sacrifice ritual)...
dkat

Old 12-06-2003, 08:56 PM
B. Joshua Rosen

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:10:34 -0400, Betsy wrote:

My cats are doing a marvelous job. I find at least one dead, chewed up
vole in my house (usually dropped precisely on a "pathway") daily. Yuk.
You know what's really gross? Stepping on them with bare feet.
EWWWWWWWW!

As a practical matter a cat can't or won't exterminate all of the little
critters. My cat kills a rodent a day and everyday there is a new rodent
for him to catch. He doesn't even have to range very far, he gets them all
in area that's maybe a few hundred square feet large. Rodents reproduce in
huge numbers, if they didn't they would have become extinct millions of
years ago. Domestic cats alone must kill billions of
mice/moles/chipmunks/shrews/voles a year, and none of those creatures is
on the endangered species list.
Old 13-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:52:41 -0400, "B. Joshua Rosen"
wrote:

As a practical matter a cat can't or won't exterminate all of the little
critters. My cat kills a rodent a day and everyday there is a new rodent
for him to catch. He doesn't even have to range very far, he gets them all
in area that's maybe a few hundred square feet large. Rodents reproduce in
huge numbers, if they didn't they would have become extinct millions of
years ago. Domestic cats alone must kill billions of
mice/moles/chipmunks/shrews/voles a year, and none of those creatures is
on the endangered species list.

I think, though, that a cat can keep their numbers down in
your immediate area, to the point that they're not much of a
problem.

At least, we've not found them to be a problem yet. We know
they're here because our cat leaves a dead vole, or mole, or
mouse on the front porch almost every day, except in winter.

Pat

Old 14-06-2003, 06:08 PM
paghat

In article , "Fudge"
wrote:

Encourage snakes and weasels.

Farmer John

I keep getting filthy spams about making snakes & weasels bigger.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 14-06-2003, 08:44 PM
pelirojaroja