Old 13-06-2003, 07:20 PM
WCD

Default Growing stuff over the septic tank

Do people often plant gardens over septic tanks to take advantage of the
soil quality there? How common is this?

I've run into some people who wouldn't think of it, and others who don't
think twice.

Thanks.

Old 13-06-2003, 07:34 PM
zxcvbob

WCD wrote:

Do people often plant gardens over septic tanks to take advantage of the
soil quality there? How common is this?

I've run into some people who wouldn't think of it, and others who don't
think twice.

Thanks.

The soil over the septic tank is usually terrible -- shallow and full of
gravel. It's the *drain field* where the good soil is. A great place
to plant tomatoes. I wouldn't grow root crops there.

Bob

--
"A stairway to oblivion is better than no stairway at all"
--Kehlog Albran

Old 14-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Fudge

I planted asparagus over my septic field. I gave a guy some of this
asparagus and he said it was the best asparagus he ever et. The look on his
face when I told him where it was grown was priceless.

Farmer John

Old 17-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Noydb

"WCD" wrote in message

Do people often plant gardens over septic tanks to take advantage of the
soil quality there? How common is this?

I've run into some people who wouldn't think of it, and others who don't
think twice.

Thanks.

NEVER ask me what's in my compost ... just enjoy the produce and don't think
twice about it. :-)

Bill C

Old 17-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Lynn Smythe

We have our entire front yard garden planted directly over our septic
system. When we moved here 2 years ago the first thing we did was to remove
all the grass in the front yard and build 4 large 8' x 16' raised beds.

We have herbs planted in 2 of the beds and veggies, butterfly plants and
flowers planted in the other 2. In the center is a large round bird
bath/fountain/planter. We haven't had any problems with the septic system so
far and get lots of complements from the neighbors.

Take care,
Lynn Smythe
zone 10 - Delray Beach, FL
users.adelphia.net/~lynnsmythe

Old 18-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Ross Reid

WCD wrote:

Do people often plant gardens over septic tanks to take advantage of the
soil quality there? How common is this?

I've run into some people who wouldn't think of it, and others who don't
think twice.

Thanks.

Lots of good info he
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohor...7/426-617.html

Ross
Old 18-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Ross Reid wrote:
-snip-

Lots of good info he
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohor...7/426-617.html

Thanks-- Good stuff, indeed. Worth repeating from that page;

"Soils vary a great deal in their ability to filter viruses and
bacteria."

"If at all possible, use your septic drain field for ornamentals and
plant your vegetables elsewhere. "

"Do not plant root crops over drain lines. Leafy vegetables could be
contaminated by rain splashing soil onto the plant,. . ."

"Do not construct raised beds over the field; they might inhibit
evaporation of moisture. "

I would also point out that the reason for a leech field is to get
liquids to evaporate. Most gardeners try to minimize evaporation, so
your goals are a bit at odds from the start.

Jim

Planting near septic tank soakaway John Towill United Kingdom 5 14-04-2010 06:21 PM
no grass over septic tank B&H Lawns 7 20-03-2010 05:11 PM
Dry grass over septic tank GaryM Gardening 4 12-07-2004 02:02 AM
Are there any septic-tank-safe trees? Retiredff Gardening 4 15-05-2004 07:03 PM
Septic tank pollution testing. Peter Hughes United Kingdom 2 16-04-2003 08:08 PM