Old 13-06-2003, 10:32 PM
The Cook

Default #%&**$ Birds

So far they have pulled up or taken major leaves from some of my
squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans and peppers. I looked around for
something to cover the plants, or what is left of them. I found a
stack of the green pint boxes used for strawberries, etc. I have
anchored the down and the seem to work to keep the birds off until the
plants get too large for them to bother. I have remay over the
replanted beans. In a few more days I may try hanging some of the
remay to some posts and let it flap.

The weather suddenly went from wet and cool to HOT. Guess it will
stay that way until winter.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Old 13-06-2003, 10:56 PM

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:26:50 GMT, The Cook wrote:

So far they have pulled up or taken major leaves from some of my
squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans and peppers. I looked around for
something to cover the plants, or what is left of them. I found a
stack of the green pint boxes used for strawberries, etc. I have
anchored the down and the seem to work to keep the birds off until the
plants get too large for them to bother. I have remay over the
replanted beans. In a few more days I may try hanging some of the
remay to some posts and let it flap.

The weather suddenly went from wet and cool to HOT. Guess it will
stay that way until winter.

Try this. It's what I use. lasts for years.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...ren cy=2&SID=
Old 14-06-2003, 01:20 AM

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:12:09 GMT, The Cook wrote:

wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:26:50 GMT, The Cook wrote:

So far they have pulled up or taken major leaves from some of my
squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans and peppers. I looked around for
something to cover the plants, or what is left of them. I found a
stack of the green pint boxes used for strawberries, etc. I have
anchored the down and the seem to work to keep the birds off until the
plants get too large for them to bother. I have remay over the
replanted beans. In a few more days I may try hanging some of the
remay to some posts and let it flap.

The weather suddenly went from wet and cool to HOT. Guess it will
stay that way until winter.

Try this. It's what I use. lasts for years.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...ren cy=2&SID=

On the other hand, the boxes were free and required only something to
anchor them. Since I had put up stakes nest to each squash, I used
them. Cheap and fast.

But you can't walk under the net.;-)
We have ravens that can rip the lid off garbage cans and yank out full
bags of garbage.
They are followed by crows traveling in gangsg and the bluejays handle
the cleanup.
Heck robins are too afraid to even come into the area.

Good luck with your boxes.
Old 14-06-2003, 05:56 AM
John S. DeBoo

The Cook wrote:

So far they have pulled up or taken major leaves from some of my
squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans and peppers. I looked around for
something to cover the plants, or what is left of them. I found a
stack of the green pint boxes used for strawberries, etc. I have
anchored the down and the seem to work to keep the birds off until the
plants get too large for them to bother. I have remay over the
replanted beans. In a few more days I may try hanging some of the
remay to some posts and let it flap.

My son had a problem with birds in his cherry tree and placed several of the Free CD's for AOL
etc on the branches and has a fine crop of cherries on it this year. A slight breeze combined
with the sunshine may work for you too. He hung them from a piece of string, then an opened up
paper clip. Birds didn't like the flashes of sunlight and movement etc.

--
John S. DeBoo

Old 19-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Dave Allyn

wrote:

So far they have pulled up or taken major leaves from some of my
squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans and peppers. I looked around for
something to cover the plants, or what is left of them. I found a
stack of the green pint boxes used for strawberries, etc. I have
anchored the down and the seem to work to keep the birds off until the
plants get too large for them to bother. I have remay over the
replanted beans. In a few more days I may try hanging some of the
remay to some posts and let it flap.

I don't have too many problems with birds. I do, however, have a
problem with stray cats.....

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Old 20-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Charles P

: wrote:

:So far they have pulled up or taken major leaves from some of my
:squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans and peppers. I looked around for
:something to cover the plants, or what is left of them. I found a
:stack of the green pint boxes used for strawberries, etc. I have
:anchored the down and the seem to work to keep the birds off until the
:plants get too large for them to bother. I have remay over the
:replanted beans. In a few more days I may try hanging some of the
:remay to some posts and let it flap.

: I don't have too many problems with birds. I do, however, have a
: problem with stray cats.....

Count your blessings then. Cats don't eat plants. Half my garden has
been destroyed by coons and woodchucks this year. They've even eaten
my okra plants. I've bought a trap and caught two so far.

Old 24-06-2003, 01:44 AM
John Savage

The Cook writes:
So far they have pulled up or taken major leaves from some of my
squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, beans and peppers. I looked around for
something to cover the plants, or what is left of them. I found a

The problem is familiar to us here in Australia, though the bird species
is not. :-)

All that is needed here to keep birds away from small plants is to
string 2 or 3 strands of thin black cotton above the row of seedlings.
The theory is that the birds don't see the black thread and get a
fright when they encounter it. Works with all known local birds, and
is a life saver for home lettuce growers. String it about 4 inches off
the ground, and support it taunt with pegs every 2 yards or so along the
row. It works a treat.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)