Old 14-06-2003, 08:44 PM

Default Good years - bad years

Was a very good year for sweet peas Knocked myself
out cutting every day for bouquets. Now coming to the end (So. Calif)
Some past years, I couldn't get any.

Was/is a very bad year for tomatoes. Planted several from seed,
several from (a) nursery (b) farmer's market. So far, zip.

Is a very good year for yellow wax beans, my pashun! Got seeds from
Johnny's; plants just leaped out of the ground. Second year.

Is an iffy year for strawberries. Ordered a lot of bareroots; plants
doing fine but not a lot of berries so far.

Looks like a good year for green beans; let's see what develops.

Your year?

--

Persephone

Old 15-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Lee Hall

wrote in message . ..
Was a very good year for sweet peas Knocked myself
out cutting every day for bouquets. Now coming to the end (So. Calif)
Some past years, I couldn't get any.

Was/is a very bad year for tomatoes. Planted several from seed,
several from (a) nursery (b) farmer's market. So far, zip.

Is a very good year for yellow wax beans, my pashun! Got seeds from
Johnny's; plants just leaped out of the ground. Second year.

Is an iffy year for strawberries. Ordered a lot of bareroots; plants
doing fine but not a lot of berries so far.

Looks like a good year for green beans; let's see what develops.

Your year?

Mixed year for tomatoes so far, a few days away from harvesting my
first ripe one. Worst hailstorm I have ever seen hit on May 4,
setting everything back about 3 weeks. Read my post of about 3 weeks
ago for more info. About to lose my Patio plant to bacterial speck.
So much for hybrid vigor. The heirloom Mortgage Lifter next to it is
also affected but seems to be fighting it off so far. Ditto for the
Jeff Davis plant which is in the other patch about 50 feet away. Not
bad considering we had one of the rainiest May's on record. No signs
of Early Blight or Septoria which has been a problem in the past. Late
plants looking really good and healthy. Should be harvesting Tropic,
Neptune and Kentucky Beefsteak soon.

Great year for Daikon radishes but they are all gone. They started
bolting early but I did pick a nice one that was 15 inches long and
weighed 13.6 ounces.
It had good texture and was tasty. Trying another crop even though I
really should wait until August since they bolt very quickly in
summer.

Good year for peppers so far. Have Joe E. Parker started from seed.
Nice looking plant but no fruit set yet. They run very late here. My
storebought Anaheim and Cubanelle plants are small but loaded. Will
start harvesting in a week or two.

Good year for cucumbers. Cucumbers came in really early. Already
have harvested one and 2 more are ready. Trying large container
filled with commercial mix this time since I had wilt problems last
year.

Excellent year for Mesclun greens. The one saving grace of all the
rain is that the Mesclun greens grew beyond anything I have seen
before. Finally got where I couldn't keep up with them as they were
getting taller and tougher. Took them all out and composted them.
Started a new crop in containers which seems to be starting off
nicely.

Jury still out on lettuce. I have never had much luck with lettuce
here, too hot and humid in the summer plus we have hard clay soil
before amending. Trying Parris Island Cos, a heat resistant variety.
It is just now starting to form heads.

Jury still out on carrots. Using the same type large container
(nursery planter) for the carrots as the cucumbers. The tops look
super but will have to wait a few more weeks to see the results.

That's about it from Tennessee, Zone 6B. We need some good hot, dry
summer weather to set in before the typical humidity does and
everything should really take off. Again, type "tomato patch" in the
Google Groups search if you would like more info on my tomato
endeavors. Will be posting a complete update in a few weeks after I
have had a chance to sample a bit more of my produce.

Lee Hall