GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Difference between green + purple tomatillas? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/32042-difference-between-green-purple-tomatillas.html)

Joanne 15-06-2003 06:30 AM

Difference between green + purple tomatillas?

Today I had the opportunity to buy both a green and a purple
tomatilla. I have never grown these before so I am looking for some
advice. I am assuming that I should treat them like tomatoes, am I
right? What is the difference between the green and the purple? How
will I know when to pick them? Once picked do I store them in the
fridge or on the counter? Can they be frozen? Is there anything I
forgot to ask?

Thanks for your help!

jcm

Frogleg 15-06-2003 02:08 PM

On 14 Jun 2003 22:21:46 -0700, (Joanne) wrote:

Today I had the opportunity to buy both a green and a purple
tomatilla. I have never grown these before so I am looking for some
advice. I am assuming that I should treat them like tomatoes, am I
right? What is the difference between the green and the purple? How
will I know when to pick them? Once picked do I store them in the
fridge or on the counter? Can they be frozen? Is there anything I
forgot to ask?

While I love growing off-color(!) veg, the main use of tomatillos is
as a tomato substitute for making thoroughly green sauce/salsa. Purple
doesn't sound very useful to me, unless they turn green when cooked,
like so many other purple veg.

Joanne 15-06-2003 06:32 PM

Frogleg wrote in message . ..

While I love growing off-color(!) veg, the main use of tomatillos is
as a tomato substitute for making thoroughly green sauce/salsa. Purple
doesn't sound very useful to me, unless they turn green when cooked,
like so many other purple veg.

You have a point, I had forgotten that purple veg often cook up green.
It is an heirloom variety, not a "designer" hybrid so I know that it
comes by it's colour honestly.

Thanks for your help!
jcm