GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tam Jalapeno Growing Problem - HELP!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/32674-tam-jalapeno-growing-problem-help.html)

Virginia 17-06-2003 11:08 PM

Tam Jalapeno Growing Problem - HELP!!

A couple of years ago, I had great success growing a Tam Jalapeno
plant. Since I love the milder jalapenos, this year I planted three
of them. Two made it just fine, and are growing pretty good. They
have had several blossoms, but I noticed that if I was checking for
bugs, I could knock a few blossoms off by mistake. Well, now I am
noticing that I have yet to have a pepper grow... and the ones that
look like they have started knock off or fall off. I don't remember
having this problem before. Couple of factors he at the base of
each stem/bud, where it attaches to a bigger stem, it seems to be a
dark purplish color at the connection, and slightly smaller diameter
-- almost like it has been strangled. This is where the break occurs
when the flowers or babies fall. Also, I have read posts with similar
problems, and most attribute it to the heat. Well, we have not really
had that much heat yet this year -- slightly cooler with lots and lots
of rain. Could this be an insufficient pollination problem,
aggravated by the quantity of rain falling? If so, I have heard that
using a blow-dryer on the tomato blossoms for about 30 seconds around
noontime, a few times a week, will aid in tomato production. Would
this possibly work for the jalapenos? I have them planted in a large
14" pot, which they (2 Tams) are sharing with a garlic chive plant
(mature). I have never had a problem with container gardening in the
past. Also, does anyone know of other great varieties of mild
jalapenos I might want to consider trying? I am in Zone 6, just north
of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Any ideas would be much appreciated -- I miss my
jalapenos!!!
Thanks, Virginia

Pam Rudd 18-06-2003 03:08 AM

Tam Jalapeno Growing Problem - HELP!!

When last we left our heros, on 17 Jun 2003 15:01:12 -0700,
(Virginia) scribbled:

Tam pepper is dropping blooms

Well, we have not really
had that much heat yet this year -- slightly cooler with lots and lots
of rain.

How cool? Peppers are very unhappy if the night temperatures get
below 50F. Blossom drop can also be caused by too much nitrogen
or too much water.

If it has rained there as much as it has here, that might be your
problem, although my jalapenos, Beaver Dam, are covered in
green peppers. My paprikas have green peppers, too, as does
on of the Lemon Drops.

I have them planted in a large
14" pot, which they (2 Tams) are sharing with a garlic chive plant
(mature). I have never had a problem with container gardening in the
past.

That seems like a small pot for two pepper plants. How deep is
it?

Also, does anyone know of other great varieties of mild
jalapenos I might want to consider trying? I am in Zone 6, just north
of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Any ideas would be much appreciated -- I miss my
jalapenos!!!

This is the first year I have grown the Beaver Dams, although
they're supposed to be on the medium/mild of end jalapenos. I
tried Rio Grande last year, and enjoyed them.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"

Joanne 18-06-2003 07:08 AM

(Virginia) wrote in message om...
A couple of years ago, I had great success growing a Tam Jalapeno
plant. Since I love the milder jalapenos, this year I planted three
of them. Two made it just fine, and are growing pretty good. They
have had several blossoms, but I noticed that if I was checking for
bugs, I could knock a few blossoms off by mistake. Well, now I am
noticing that I have yet to have a pepper grow... and the ones that
look like they have started knock off or fall off.

I've never had pepper problems myself, but it sounds like blossom end
rot, which I believe is caused by too much water (someone will correct
me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure).

I can't condone the shared pots either, peppers need their space and
I'll bet that they would do better on their own. How far apart does
the information tag say to plant peppers? I'm betting at least 12
inches. In the ground I've been able to cut that down a titch, but I
doubt you have that leeway in a pot.

Hope that helps

jcm

Pam 18-06-2003 04:56 PM

Tam Jalapeno Growing Problem - HELP!!

In our last fun filled episode, 17 Jun 2003 23:05:41 -0700,
(Joanne) proclaimed:

I've never had pepper problems myself, but it sounds like blossom end
rot, which I believe is caused by too much water (someone will correct
me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure).

Blossom end rot appears in the fruit, not the blossom.

Pam

..
"ElissaAnn"

Kim[_1_] 16-07-2003 05:55 PM