GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Vidalia onion bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/32698-vidalia-onion-bulbs.html)

Two Snakes 18-06-2003 12:20 AM

Vidalia onion bulbs

Where can you buy Vidalia onion bulbs?

FarmerDill 18-06-2003 12:44 AM

Vidalia onion bulbs

Vidalia onions are grown from the seeds of about 9 approved hybrid cultivars
derived from the Granex. A short day sweet onion, it is not grown from sets or
sold as such. Sets are normally storage varieties.

Steve Calvin 18-06-2003 12:56 AM

Vidalia onion bulbs

FarmerDill wrote:
Vidalia onions are grown from the seeds of about 9 approved hybrid cultivars
derived from the Granex. A short day sweet onion, it is not grown from sets or
sold as such. Sets are normally storage varieties.

Plus to truly be a Vadalia, doesn't it have to be grown in a specific
area of Georgia? It's theoretically the soil there.

--
Steve

FarmerDill 18-06-2003 01:20 AM

Vidalia onion bulbs

Plus to truly be a Vadalia, doesn't it have to be grown in a specific
area of Georgia? It's theoretically the soil there.

True. The Vidalia is a trademark. all growers who market under this tradement
have to be approved and thier onions must pass muster before being sold under
the Vidalia label. One of the soil requirements is low suphur content, which is
why I shudder every time some one s promotes sulphur for use in a vegetable
garden. It is also detrimental to cantaloupes.

Steve Calvin 18-06-2003 01:44 AM

Vidalia onion bulbs

FarmerDill wrote:
snip
One of the soil requirements is low suphur content, which is
why I shudder every time some one s promotes sulphur for use in a vegetable
garden. It is also detrimental to cantaloupes.

Couldn't agree more.

--
Steve