Old 18-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Richard Lovering

Default Newbie Potato Tire Question

Hi- I'm looking for any and all advice about growing potatoes in old tires.
I live on Vashon Island, 10 miles from Seattle, and have full sun all day.
Potatoes love my sandy soil - I grew a crop last year, doing absolutely
nothing but watering - didn't even hill'em- but got great yields. This year
I decided to try the tire method: I planted the sets 4" below grade, and
when they grew 8" high, I threw a tire over the plant, and filled up the
tire with soil. I'm up to two and three tires in a tower now- the plants are
between 2' and 3' tall, with the top 8" exposed and the rest of the plant
buried. They all appear to be healthy, growing well, and starting to set
flowers. I have questions about where to grow from here, to wit:

- Should I water around the top, the base of the tire, or both?

- Should I keep on adding a fourth and fifth tire, or should I stop and let
the plant grow over the top?

- When should I start harvesting the potatoes- when the vine has started to
turn yellow and shrivel, or any time after the flowers have come and gone?

- I understand the plants start creating potatoes about the time they start
to flower (i.e., now), and for a tastier (though smaller) potato, I should
start tapering off the water. Any comments from experienced growers?

Incidentally, for anyone who's never grown potatoes, they are highly
satisfactory: easy to grow, prolific, and, amazingly, much better than
anything you can buy in the store. I recomment Yukon golds or Yellow Finns,
though I'm sure each region has its own favorites...

Thanks for suggestions.

Dick Lovering

Old 18-06-2003, 06:32 PM
FarmerDill

[...]

Dick I am assuming that you are filling each tire as you add it with mulch (old
hay, straw, shredded leaves ) The potatoes grow in this mulch if it is kept
damp, One the reasons this works is that the tuber and its attaching stem have
hair roots which feed the growing potato and does not stress the vine to
provide for it,

As for harvesting, "new" potatoes are usually availalable at flowering, However
if you wish to store them for any lenght of time wait until the vines die back
for mature potatoes.

dill
Old 19-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Richard Lovering

Dear Farmer Dill,
Thanks for your prompt reply! In fact no, I've been filling the tires with
more soil, dug beside the tire towers. Perhaps this will be too heavy for
potatoes to form(?) It's sandy and well drained, and I've been keeping it
moist - not overly so, watering perhaps twice a week. Since it's mid June
now, I thought I'd harvest one stack, and harvest the others as you
recommend for mature potatoes.
Dick Lovering

Old 19-06-2003, 05:20 PM
FarmerDill

Dear Farmer Dill,
Thanks for your prompt reply! In fact no, I've been filling the tires with
more soil, dug beside the tire towers. Perhaps this will be too heavy for
potatoes to form(?) It's sandy and well drained, and I've been

keeping it
moist - not overly so, watering perhaps twice a week. Since it's mid June
now, I thought I'd harvest one stack, and harvest the others as you
recommend for mature potatoes.
Dick Lovering

It should work ok with sandy soil that does not compact. The advantage of using
a mulch material is that it is light compared to soil, contains nurients for
the potato and you are less likely to get a hernia taking the tower apart to
get the potatoes.

dill

Old 27-07-2003, 09:12 AM

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:33:30 -0700, "Richard Lovering"
wrote:

[...]

I've never been able to make this trick work (well, you did say 'any
and all information')
A column of tyres, five high needs an aweful lot of dirt to fill it
It might ne worth while, as you fill the stack, to put a few more seed
potates in each time you put more dirt in
Barrie

Old 27-07-2003, 12:02 PM
samuel l crowe

I have tried this without to much success but I will say that if the vine is
flowering there is no need to add more tires as the plant is done growing
and is now making potatoes. I would water from the bottom only.
But I like I said, I have not had great success with this method of growing
spuds.

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC