Old 19-06-2003, 03:20 PM
JohnDKestell

Default better luck next year?

Hi guys,
I posted earlier about my garden, which went in way too late this spring.

anyways, I was wondering, how can I really blast the soil and build it up for
next season?

I have an endless supply of cattle bedding and horse bedding, some good
machines, some other stuff (aged wood chips, grass clippings).

at the end of my dismal growing season (too much rain, not enough sun), should
I just spread as much "stuff" on there as possible, till it under, and let it
mellow out for the winter? I was thinking that even if the material is too
"hot" it would certainly cool off after a couple of months in the ground.

I know I'm being impatient, but would like to really crank my soil up for next
spring.
thanks
john
Old 19-06-2003, 11:44 PM
JohnDKestell

the soil pH is great (just a little alkaline), the structure isn't too bad, the
drainage isn't great but not terrible either. I think maybe I just need to
build up the structure for next year. and get an earilier start! just
thinking about next spring, and some fall garden preparation for it.

do I just "bomb" it with all I have? Will it cool off over the winter? build
up some soil? I only ask because my last garden was inherited from the
previous owner--and it had been a cattle pasture for maybe 100 years, so the
soil was excellent to begin with. Black, crumbly earth. My new garden is a
little sandy, and needs to get on some steroids. It's come to my attention
that my garden is a filled in inground swimming pool. how do I cheat time and
get some dark black soil of my own?

thanks
john

Old 21-06-2003, 03:20 AM
lois

If it was filled with sand, it takes an awful lot of good stuff to make
it like soil. Can you remove the sand down a few feet and replace it
with your good soil?

Or- sounds like you might choose another loction

Old 21-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Wacko!

PH is only part of the picture. If you are going to dedicate a season to
do soil improvement, get a soil test to see what the soil needs for NPK. A
test will also give you a confirmation on the PH you believe you have. Then
you will know what organics to add to boost as needed.

Structure can be built with organics such as leaves, compost or manure, etc.
They are all great in their own way. Add them all if you like. Leaves can
change pH when used heavily. There are other amendments as well. Seaweed
has a lot of minerals. Greensand, bone meal, etc - the list gets pretty
long.

Once you do the above amendments, consider a basic cover crop such as
buckwheat to keep the weeds down. This can be tilled under later and add
even more structure.

Cya! Wacko!

Old 22-06-2003, 05:56 PM
simy1

(JohnDKestell) wrote in message ...
the soil pH is great (just a little alkaline), the structure isn't too bad, the
drainage isn't great but not terrible either. I think maybe I just need to
build up the structure for next year. and get an earilier start! just
thinking about next spring, and some fall garden preparation for it.

do I just "bomb" it with all I have?

Yes. If you lay down one foot of organic material, you will be in good
shape for a long time (it may be a good time to make beds, so they can
contain that much material). Next year you may have to plant through
the mulch, but it is something easily done. I prefer not to mix layers
as manure is best placed at the bottom and leaves or wood chips (which
have no weed seeds) at the top.

Will it cool off over the winter?

of course. It will cool off in one month.

build
up some soil? I only ask because my last garden was inherited from the
previous owner--and it had been a cattle pasture for maybe 100 years, so the
soil was excellent to begin with. Black, crumbly earth. My new garden is a
little sandy, and needs to get on some steroids.

If it is sandy, you probably do not need to till, just lay on top and
make sure there are a few earthworms to start the banquet. They will
turn the soil for you as they move up and down by three feet over a
season (at least that is what they do in Michigan).

It's come to my attention
that my garden is a filled in inground swimming pool. how do I cheat time and
get some dark black soil of my own?

If it is fill, it is probably poor soil. You will have black soil next
year just by laying things on top and let it compost.

thanks
john