Old 19-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Gary Woods

Default End of garlic season and beginning

I'm declaring last year's garlic season officially over, because I checked
over the dried remnants of last year's stored garlic and updated my
spreadsheet. For the truly compulsive (they've got a group for that!),
there are now a lot of entries for storage life that say "5/1/03" because
I know they were pretty much done by then.
EXCEPT for:
Romanian Red- still a dozen rock-hard bulbs
Elephant Old- (no, not Jumbo's grandson; the earlier strain of a non-garlic
I grow just to prove I can)- a couple pretty solid ones. It isn't as hardy
or as big as a newer strain which is completely dried up.

Out of fear for soil-borne diseases and because it was cold and damp and
because a lady friend was coming over for dinner, I burned the dried up
bulbs along with a few sticks of wood in the fireplace. Got white smoke
out the flue, which means there will be new garlic soon!

Gloomy and cloudy again today, with weather weasels predicting the rain
that didn't come yesterday. Good thing I'm such a cheerful guy....(those
who know me, SHUT UP!!).

Out to pull some weeds... at least I won't get my Celtic skin burned...