Old 20-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Sequal

Default Yellowing corn plants

I have transplanted some corn into the fields, and the plant is turning into
a greenish yellow color. The leaves are turning yellow at the tips and
browns in, and some of the tips of the leaves are dead. There are several
dead leaves at the bottom. These plants are around 10 CM in height and they
dont seem to be growing too quickly. Where the new leaves shoots out of the
plant (at the really top) are rolling together and they turn into a
blackish-dark green color and all wrinkled. My first guesses are nitrogen
deficiency, over watering, or bad transplanting-(I can remember seeing all
the roots without clinging to the soil when I transplanted the seedlings 2-3
weeks ago). Could someone in this group tell me what action I should take to
get theses plants back to normal?

Thanks!

Old 21-06-2003, 03:20 AM
lois

Corn doesnt transplant well. It likes high N til it begins to bloom,
then a high P

You could also sprinkle the root zone with epsom salts for root growth.
Or you might try this rejuvenating mix: 3 T each of epsom salts,
instant tea, Parsons lemon ammonia and hydrogen peroxide to a 2 1/2 gal
bucket of water.

Pour about 1/4 -1/3 C over each entire plant and pray. Begin fert in
about 10 days as above.

Old 22-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Bill Wilson

I've had problems with my first planting of sweet corn this year. We've had
close to 20 inches of rain the last two months. I fixed the corn by side
dressing with aged chicken litter. Side dressed on top of the ground next
to the plants, then with a push plow, hill dirt over the litter. The corn
turned green, and grew almost three feet in three weeks and is setting ears
now.

good luck............