Old 23-06-2003, 04:20 AM
zxcvbob

Default snow peas

I'm growing snow peas this year for the first time. I think the variety is
Oregon Early Giant, or something like that. When do I pick them? As soon
as the pods are almost 3 inches long, or do I let them fill out just a
little -- where I can see the immature peas bulging the pods? Thanks.

Bob

Old 23-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Kiewicz

zxcvbob said:

I'm growing snow peas this year for the first time. I think the variety is
Oregon Early Giant, or something like that. When do I pick them? As soon
as the pods are almost 3 inches long, or do I let them fill out just a
little -- where I can see the immature peas bulging the pods? Thanks.

With snow peas, pick them when they have reached their full size, before the
immature peas have become any more than tiny bumps. Let them go to far
and they will get tough and stringy.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:15:17 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

I'm growing snow peas this year for the first time. I think the variety is
Oregon Early Giant, or something like that. When do I pick them? As soon
as the pods are almost 3 inches long, or do I let them fill out just a
little -- where I can see the immature peas bulging the pods? Thanks.

I would NOT wait until I can see peas bulging the pods. I
think they'd be tough by then. I'd pick them as soon as
they were about 3 inches long.

Pat
Old 23-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 04:25:49 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

While some people say the immature peas are the sweetest, I do not find that
to be the case. I wait until they fill out a bit, actually quite a bit. Take
a chance and try one a bit early. What do you have to lose? That way you
will calibrate yourself quickly.

Bill

Bill, these are snowpeas - did you possibly not realize
that?

Pat

Old 23-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Jim Elbrecht

wrote:

I'm growing snow peas this year for the first time. I think the variety is
Oregon Early Giant, or something like that. When do I pick them? As soon
as the pods are almost 3 inches long, or do I let them fill out just a
little -- where I can see the immature peas bulging the pods? Thanks.

I tend to go with Bill's method. Different varieties [and different
years?] will be different. I also usually plant 2 varieties in
hope that one will like this years weather than the other.

Try them as soon as you dare, [I start as soon as I can see a trace
of bumps in the pod] but leave a few to see if they are getting better
or worse as they mature- adjust for your taste.

Jim

Old 23-06-2003, 07:45 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:58:06 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

While some people say the immature peas are the sweetest, I do not find that
to be the case. I wait until they fill out a bit, actually quite a bit. Take
a chance and try one a bit early. What do you have to lose? That way you
will calibrate yourself quickly.

Bill

Bill, these are snowpeas - did you possibly not realize
that?

Pat

I do not know what you mean. Is the name pertinent? What are the properties
of snow peas that I should know?

Snow peas - often used in Asian cooking - are the type of
peas where you eat the whole pod. Not sugar snaps - you eat
the whole pod in them too, but with developed peas inside.

When you buy snow peas, you're buying a flat pod with
sometimes tiny little peas inside, but they're barely
visible.

Judging from snow peas that I've purchased (and grown - a
long time ago), when the peas inside are fully developed,
the pods are tough and stringy - not something you'd want to
eat.

Pat
Old 25-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Aaron Baugher

zxcvbob writes:

I'm growing snow peas this year for the first time. I think the
variety is Oregon Early Giant, or something like that. When do I
pick them? As soon as the pods are almost 3 inches long, or do I
let them fill out just a little -- where I can see the immature peas
bulging the pods? Thanks.

I'm growing Goliath peas this year. They're supposed to be an
either-or -- eat them as snow peas or shell them out. One catalog
said to pick them flat, and another said to let them fill out first,
so I tried the latter. Way too stringy. I even pulled as many
strings as possible off the second batch, but it wasn't enough.

So I'd say you'd better pick them before the peas start to bulge,
although you could leave a few to get fuller and see how they do.
These Goliaths grew very nicely and are producing well, but I think
I'll use them for shell peas next year and grow some true snow peas
for eating whole.

--
Aaron

Old 17-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I'm growing snow peas this year for the first time. I think the variety is
Oregon Early Giant, or something like that. When do I pick them? As soon
as the pods are almost 3 inches long, or do I let them fill out just a
little -- where I can see the immature peas bulging the pods? Thanks.

Bob

Oregons have always been one of my favorite and most productive snow
peas. They are prolific here in 5b Missouri if we get them in very
early (like end of Feb if the ground can be worked). They can and do
get huge (and tough) if you let them. I also like to pick them when
they are about 3-4 inches. In the past we grew them closely spaced in
double rows about a foot apart in long informal raised beds so they kind
of support each other. They grow very densely, that way, fully
covering a four-foot wide bed to a height of maybe a foot and one half
at their peak. But picking is not so easy that way so we may start
double trellising them instead. We are open for ideas.

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 10:37 PM
is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 07-04-2010 12:32 AM
Snow Peas Wanda Australia 5 09-11-2003 03:22 PM
Snow Peas Planting Question ??? Joanne Edible Gardening 3 29-06-2003 08:32 AM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 05:08 PM