Old 25-06-2003, 09:32 AM

Default Yellow wax beans

Breakfast: Yellow wax beans

Lunch: Yellow wax beans

Dinner: Yellow wax beans

(pant, pant...can't keep up. Note to self:
Next year, do at least 4 staggered plantings; two is not enough)

--

Persephone

Old 26-06-2003, 03:20 AM

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:28:27 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Breakfast: Yellow wax beans

Lunch: Yellow wax beans

Dinner: Yellow wax beans

(pant, pant...can't keep up. Note to self:
Next year, do at least 4 staggered plantings; two is not enough)

Or plant a pole variety like Marvel of Venice. Plant it once and it
bears all season if you keep it picked. When you get tired of
eating/canning/freezing wax beans just quit picking :-).

Freezing! Damn, I never thought of that.

How do I freeze Y.W.B.s? Straight question; I've never
frozen fresh veggies from garden. Rush answer:
I'm about to do a major picking.

Thanks!

--

Persephone

Old 26-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Pam

In our last fun filled episode, Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:45:07 GMT,
proclaimed:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:15:41 GMT,
wrote:

How do I freeze Y.W.B.s? Straight question; I've never
frozen fresh veggies from garden. Rush answer:
I'm about to do a major picking.

Thanks!

Could I piggy-back on P's question? I also have a lot of Yellow Wax
Beans and don't want to waste them, and have never frozen fresh
vegetables, whether from garden or from market. How?

http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/edmat/PNW214.PDF

Google is your frieend...

Pam, it is in PDF format, which I'm coming to believe stands
for Pain in Da Freaking ass.

---
"Oh no, not again."
- A bowl of petunias on its way to certain death

Old 26-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Art Norman

I get a big spaghetti sized pot of water boiling, put a large handful of
beans in a handled collander and dip it in the boiling water for about 20
seconds then throw them in the sink to cool. When cool, I fill freezer bags
squeezing out the air before sealing.
Art Norman
N2ERI

wrote:

In article ,
says...

Breakfast: Yellow wax beans

Lunch: Yellow wax beans

Dinner: Yellow wax beans

(pant, pant...can't keep up. Note to self:
Next year, do at least 4 staggered plantings; two is not enough)

Or plant a pole variety like Marvel of Venice. Plant it once and it
bears all season if you keep it picked. When you get tired of
eating/canning/freezing wax beans just quit picking :-).

Freezing! Damn, I never thought of that.

How do I freeze Y.W.B.s? Straight question; I've never
frozen fresh veggies from garden. Rush answer:
I'm about to do a major picking.

Thanks!

Could I piggy-back on P's question? I also have a lot of Yellow Wax
Beans and don't want to waste them, and have never frozen fresh
vegetables, whether from garden or from market. How?

I consulted "Joy of Cooking" about blanching, etc.

Not clear on whether blanched Yellow Wax Beans, after being thoroughly
dried, can be put directly into, e.g. Hefty locking freezer bags.

Would much appreciate prompt reply, or referrrals elsewhere.

--

Polar

Old 27-06-2003, 06:30 AM

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:05:55 -0400, Pam wrote:

In our last fun filled episode, Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:45:07 GMT,
proclaimed:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:15:41 GMT, wrote:

How do I freeze Y.W.B.s? Straight question; I've never
frozen fresh veggies from garden. Rush answer:
I'm about to do a major picking.

Thanks!

Could I piggy-back on P's question? I also have a lot of Yellow Wax
Beans and don't want to waste them, and have never frozen fresh
vegetables, whether from garden or from market. How?

http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/edmat/PNW214.PDF

Google is your frieend...

Pam, it is in PDF format, which I'm coming to believe stands
for Pain in Da Freaking ass.

I could read it just fine. OK, that site answered two of my q's
about blanching in microwave, and storing in "film bags" which I guess
would include the Hefty freezer bags I mentioned.

I'll do some in film bags and some in canning jars,
as an experiment to see which works out best.

Thanks.

--

Persephone

Old 27-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Aaron Baugher

Pat Meadows writes:

Then I put them in a colander and shake them to drain out
most of the water (but I certainly don't dry them
thoroughly). Then I put them into freezer bags, label, and
put into the freezer.

One thing I'll do when I freeze vegetables is spread them out on
cookie sheets when I first put them in the freezer, and once they've
frozen, transfer them into freezer bags or containers. That way the
bag won't be frozen into on big lump, so I can use as much of it as I
want.

Sometimes, rather than spread them out, I'll put them in a plastic tub
in the freezer, and stir them up every free hours until they're
frozen. Then transfer them into big freezer bags or cartons from
which I can dip out what I need for a meal.

--
Aaron

Old 27-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Aaron Baugher

Larry Blanchard writes:

Or plant a pole variety like Marvel of Venice. Plant it once and it
bears all season if you keep it picked. When you get tired of
eating/canning/freezing wax beans just quit picking :-).

How are those for stringiness? Our catalogs only have one yellow pole
variety, and it's a Kentucky Wonder type that's pretty stringy. I'd
love to find a yellow pole bean that makes as good a bean as the bush
varieties.

--
Aaron