Old 26-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Joanne

Default Snow Peas Planting Question ???

Hi all

I missed my chance to plant snow peas this spring, can I plant them
late in the summer for early fall harvesting? Is there a second
opportunity or is the timing all backwards?

Thanks for your help.

jcm
Toronto, Ontario.
Canadian zone 5b, don't know my U.S. zone equivilant.
Old 26-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Joanne said:

I missed my chance to plant snow peas this spring, can I plant them
late in the summer for early fall harvesting? Is there a second
opportunity or is the timing all backwards?

I had read that fall plantings were not particularly successful in my area
(Michigan) and the one time I tried it (years ago) the results were disappointing.

It's too hot in the day and too damp at night when starting the peas (they tend to
mildew) and the days are just too short later on (so they grow very slowly).
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 29-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Joanne

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:25:36 -0400, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

(Joanne) wrote:

Hi all

I missed my chance to plant snow peas this spring, can I plant them
late in the summer for early fall harvesting? Is there a second
opportunity or is the timing all backwards?

Thanks for your help.

jcm
Toronto, Ontario.
Canadian zone 5b, don't know my U.S. zone equivilant.

I've read that you could do it, but you'll need a little shade for the
summertime crop to protect from the hottest heat. I was thinking a
trellis suspended directly over to eliminate high noon heat here. One
book says to seed 10 weeks before last frost.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Thanks for the replies. It would appear thar I missed my chance this
year. I will hopefully have learnt my lesson.

jcm
Canadian zone 5b, not sure of U.S. zone.
Thanks to global warming it's bloody hot here!

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 10:37 PM
Snow peas fencing. Question . DogDiesel Edible Gardening 5 07-06-2011 03:08 AM
is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 07-04-2010 12:32 AM
Snow Peas Wanda Australia 5 09-11-2003 03:22 PM
should I bring in the sweet peas before the snow? NAearthMOM Gardening 1 30-03-2003 05:08 PM