GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   short season summer crops (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/34492-short-season-summer-crops.html)

Simon Stenkle 27-06-2003 10:32 PM

short season summer crops

i have some extra space in the garden and was wondering if someone would
list some short season summer crops.

thanks
simon

Frankhartx 28-06-2003 04:08 AM

short season summer crops

From: "Simon Stenkle"

i have some extra space in the garden and was wondering if someone would
list some short season summer crops.

Green beans

Jan Flora 28-06-2003 06:08 AM

short season summer crops

In article , "Simon Stenkle"
wrote:

i have some extra space in the garden and was wondering if someone would
list some short season summer crops.

thanks
simon

What zone are you in? I'm zone 3. If it doesn't get too hot, try these...

Lettuce
Radishes
Peas
Broccali
Beets
Carrots

Cabbage, brussell sprouts, broccali and kale can all take some frost.

If you're in a hot area, grow some zucchini and cukes. They're fast and
bulletproof,
as long as frost never touches them.

Jan
Homer, Alaska zone 3

Pat Meadows 28-06-2003 12:32 PM

short season summer crops

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:25:56 GMT, "Simon Stenkle"
wrote:

i have some extra space in the garden and was wondering if someone would
list some short season summer crops.

Bush beans. Lettuce, if it's not too hot where you are.

Pat

Frogleg 28-06-2003 10:08 PM

short season summer crops

wrote:

i have some extra space in the garden and was wondering if someone would
list some short season summer crops.

"Short season" in the sense of a cool climate with a short growing
season, or in the sense of "I didn't plant tomatoes early enough"? As
others have posted, beans are a crop that may be sown (and harvested)
throughout the summer. Cool-season things like greens and cabbag-y
things are usually set out in late summer and produce during the fall.
Herbs like dill and cilantro don't take long to produce useful
material.