GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strawberries - which variety? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/35355-strawberries-variety.html)

[email protected] 03-07-2003 06:56 PM

Strawberries - which variety?

I put in 25 ea. strawberry plants bare-root, Ft. Laramie and
Quinault, and they all did well.

Problem is that I mixed up the labels, so don't know which is which.
(my bad!)

One variety produces HUGE fruits and many runners.

The other variety produces smaller fruits and few runners.

Can anybody identify?

TIA

--

Persephone

[email protected] 05-07-2003 12:08 AM

Strawberries - which variety?

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:04:07 -0700,
(dkra) wrote:

x-no-archive: yes

In article ,
wrote:

I put in 25 ea. strawberry plants bare-root, Ft. Laramie and
Quinault, and they all did well.

Problem is that I mixed up the labels, so don't know which is which.
(my bad!)

One variety produces HUGE fruits and many runners.

The other variety produces smaller fruits and few runners.

snip

From the Sunset Western Garden Book (1996) (p. 495), under the
"Strawberry" heading:

"'Fort Laramie' Everbearing. Good yield of large, bright red berries
over long season. Excellent flavor.

"'Quinault. Everbearing. Fruit is large, attractive, tasty, rather
soft. Good producer of runners."

From this, it sounds as if the plant with the "many runners" is the
Quinault, and the other one is the Fort Laramie.

Damn! I've *got* the WGB, recent edition. Sometimes one doesn't
think of the obvious. Much obliged!

Thank-you shipment of berries on the way g

--

Persephone