Old 16-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Jim Carter

Default Six-Pack's Tag said Early Girl, Fruit is Cherry Tomatoes........

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:26:56 -0400, Pat Meadows wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Red Robin is a miniature PLANT, but the tomatoes are not all
that unusually small. I'd say that most of them are typical
cherry-sized. (I have lots of them growing in 6" pots in my
bay window at present.)

IIRC, this is also true of Yellow Canary: miniature PLANT
but cherry-sized tomatoes. I've not grown Yellow Canary for
some years, but I believe my memory of this is correct.

I am unclear exactly what Linda is searching for and what went wrong for her
previously. "The Birds" reliably produce cherry sized tomatoes, which are about
the size of a grape. Micro-Toms are a very small fruit. As far as I know,
www.tomatogrowers.com is a reliable source of seed. I think that covered all
the bases. :-)
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 16-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:02:43 -0400, Linda Barsalou
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

I'm going back to the supplier of my "jellybean" plant (he lives a few
blocks away) and find out why it's an average 1" cherry type.

About the "jellybean" plant, don't blame the grower, blame
the seed producer. My garden group grew them this year from
seed for our Spring Sale and I planted one in my own
garden. The tomatoes on it are at least 1" in diameter if
not bigger. I am really disappointed as the picture on the
seed packet shows those little grape size tomatoes you see
in the supermarket.

Thanks, Linda. Since you mention "picture on the packet", I assume
this wasn't saved seed. Rather disappointing. And I'm sure to my
supplier, too. I got a Sweet Million from him last year that was very
productive, but the skins were thick, which he mentioned. Skin on the
"jellybean" is also thick. Tommy Toes, a somewhat larger cherry type,
has thinner skin and the fruit is sweet.

Sorry I don't know any reliable types/sources for smaller types.
Old 16-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Jim Carter

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:11:59 GMT, Frogleg wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Sorry I don't know any reliable types/sources for smaller types.

Everyone might be interested in

http://gardenwatchdog.com/

when wondering about suppliers. They allow you to add your own experiences,
good or bad, about suppliers you have dealt with.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a