Old 06-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Andy Petro

Default Zones

I wish that everyone writing to Rec.gardens would either specify the
climate zone or city they live in. I am in Toronto , Ontario, zone 5 and
just starting to see the odd minute tomato on the plants . It will be a
long time before i see any ripe ones. , but if i knew where you lived it
would be easier to accept . I also learned that the zones in Canada and
the Us are classified the same way. Where can i get information on this.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Andy Petro" wrote in message
I wish that everyone writing to Rec.gardens would either specify the
climate zone or city they live in. I am in Toronto , Ontario, zone 5 and
just starting to see the odd minute tomato on the plants . It will be a
long time before i see any ripe ones. , but if i knew where you lived it
would be easier to accept . I also learned that the zones in Canada and
the Us are classified the same way. Where can i get information on this.

I used the info at http://www.veseys.com/sub.cfm?source=climate_map . The
info is broken down into areas, but I think (last I really looked) all the
info was there. It is a commercial site, btw, but it has some useful info
on it, too. You could also look on the USDA website for all the US zones,
and Agriculture and Agri-Foods Canada for the Canadian zones.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/zone/#usda has info on who came up with the
zones and what the criteria are.

rona (in 3a, I think--I'm in Winnipeg and have not seen any tomatoes on my
tomato plants. They're still alive, though, so that's a plus!)

Old 06-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Ross Reid

Andy Petro wrote:

I wish that everyone writing to Rec.gardens would either specify the
climate zone or city they live in. I am in Toronto , Ontario, zone 5 and
just starting to see the odd minute tomato on the plants . It will be a
long time before i see any ripe ones. , but if i knew where you lived it
would be easier to accept . I also learned that the zones in Canada and
the Us are classified the same way. Where can i get information on this.

AFAIK, the two classification systems are slightly different. I'm just
an hour's drive West of Toronto, in Canadian Zone 5b but, using USDA
zones I'm in Zone 3.
Here's AgCanada's site:
http://map1.agr.ca/scripts/esrimap.d...md=Map&Lang=En
It is interactive and you are able to zoom in almost close enough to
see your own garden ;-).
Ross,
Ontario, Canada.
New AgCanada Zone 5b
43º19' North
80º16' West
Old 06-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Jim Carter

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:47:37 -0400, Andy Petro wrote
in rec.gardens.edible:

I wish that everyone writing to Rec.gardens would either specify the
climate zone or city they live in. I am in Toronto , Ontario, zone 5 and
just starting to see the odd minute tomato on the plants . It will be a
long time before i see any ripe ones. , but if i knew where you lived it
would be easier to accept . I also learned that the zones in Canada and
the Us are classified the same way. Where can i get information on this.

These are known as Plant Hardiness Zones. The Canadian zones can be found at

http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/cli...ss/webmap.html

and are assigned by Agriculture Canada. Click on the map a few times to zoom in
to your area. The American zones were developed by The United States Department
of Agriculture and includes part of Canada. I believe their site is at

www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html , but it is down at this moment (score

one for the Canucks) so I cannot confirm it.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 08-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Joanne

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:48:30 GMT, Ross Reid wrote:

AFAIK, the two classification systems are slightly different. I'm just
an hour's drive West of Toronto, in Canadian Zone 5b but, using USDA
zones I'm in Zone 3.
Here's AgCanada's site:
http://map1.agr.ca/scripts/esrimap.d...md=Map&Lang=En
It is interactive and you are able to zoom in almost close enough to
see your own garden ;-).
Ross,

Wow! That is a great sight! I thought I was in 5b, apparently not,
I'm in 6. Thanks.

jc
---