GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   moldy mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/35739-moldy-mulch.html)

Simon Stenkle 07-07-2003 01:08 PM

moldy mulch

i left my grass clippings out for nearly a week now and they have gotten
moldy in the middle of the heap. are they still safe to use?

simon

Pat Meadows 07-07-2003 02:10 PM

moldy mulch

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:08:25 GMT, "Simon Stenkle"
wrote:

i left my grass clippings out for nearly a week now and they have gotten
moldy in the middle of the heap. are they still safe to use?

As far as I know: yes. I'd use them. I have often used
them.

Pat

EvelynMcH 07-07-2003 08:08 PM

moldy mulch

Turn them to dry them out before you put them on anything. I would not use them
on any plants if the mold is still active - you'll just spread the fungus.
-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein

Noydb 08-07-2003 03:08 AM

moldy mulch

Simon Stenkle wrote:

i left my grass clippings out for nearly a week now and they have gotten
moldy in the middle of the heap. are they still safe to use?

simon

In a word: "yes".

Those fungi are always present and are the first step toward compost. As
Evelyn mentioned, you might want to turn them ... but just to make handling
easier -- not to kill the fungi. You can't kill the fungi this way.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)