GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mortgage Lifter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/35827-mortgage-lifter.html)

Bill 08-07-2003 01:56 AM

Mortgage Lifter

Is there something special that has to be done to get this variety to
produce tomatos? This is the second year I 've tried growing them and
so far not a tomato; last year I only got one. Do I need two Mortgage
Lifters for cross pollenation? Special feeding requirements? Temp
preferences? It's not like I can't grow tomatos, I've cherry, Stupice,
Patio, and Better Boy coming out the wazoo, but all the Mortgage lifter
does is look healthy, put out blooms, and get bigger. All my tomatos
are getting the same regimen in the way of watering, fertilizer, and
sunlight. I'm stumped. Sunset Zone 23 So. Cal. USA.

Bill

Noydb 08-07-2003 02:44 AM

Mortgage Lifter

Bill wrote:

Is there something special that has to be done to get this variety to
produce tomatos? This is the second year I 've tried growing them and
so far not a tomato; last year I only got one. Do I need two Mortgage
Lifters for cross pollenation? Special feeding requirements? Temp
preferences? It's not like I can't grow tomatos, I've cherry, Stupice,
Patio, and Better Boy coming out the wazoo, but all the Mortgage lifter
does is look healthy, put out blooms, and get bigger. All my tomatos
are getting the same regimen in the way of watering, fertilizer, and
sunlight. I'm stumped. Sunset Zone 23 So. Cal. USA.

Bill

Just guessing that perhaps you have too much nitrogen in the soil. Try
hand-pollinating them with a cotton swab. My ML's were planted about April
7-8 and went in the ground April 19 (our last frost date). Got plenty of
maters on the way .... from quarter size to half-dollar.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Bill 08-07-2003 03:20 AM

Mortgage Lifter

In article , fakedaddress@organic-
earth.com says...
Bill wrote:

[...]

Sorry, forgot to mention I've tried that. Mine went in the ground the
middle of March. We've been eating Stupice for a month, the others are
just begining to ripen. We've had a really wierd spring/summer so far.

Sitting here watching a hummingbird work over the Buddelia "Black
Knight" outside my window and it's chasing off the butterflies as they
come in to feed. Greedy little pig. :)

Bill

Glenna Rose 08-07-2003 06:32 AM

Mortgage Lifter

writes:

Sitting here watching a hummingbird work over the Buddelia "Black
Knight" outside my window and it's chasing off the butterflies as they
come in to feed. Greedy little pig. :)

Bill

Thank you for sharing this. So far, that hasn't happened here that has
been observed. I did add a Black Knight to my yard last summer. It's in
front by the fish pond so we'll see what happens as it gets larger and
produces more blossoms.

Watching the butterflies at the other bushes has been great. I have one
that is visible from the kitchen window as well as the patio. Prior to it,
they were in the front along the street and not in the line of sight from
the back yard.

It's been primarily bumblebees and honey bees competing with the
butterflies.

Glenna

Bill 08-07-2003 09:20 AM

Mortgage Lifter

In article fc.003d0941019e54ce3b9aca003b934657.19e54e6@pmug. org,
says...
writes:

Sitting here watching a hummingbird work over the Buddelia "Black
Knight" outside my window and it's chasing off the butterflies as they
come in to feed. Greedy little pig. :)

Bill

Thank you for sharing this. So far, that hasn't happened here that has
been observed. I did add a Black Knight to my yard last summer. It's in
front by the fish pond so we'll see what happens as it gets larger and
produces more blossoms.

Watching the butterflies at the other bushes has been great. I have one
that is visible from the kitchen window as well as the patio. Prior to it,
they were in the front along the street and not in the line of sight from
the back yard.

It's been primarily bumblebees and honey bees competing with the
butterflies.

Glenna

I've got view of butterfly/hummingbird attracting flowers from most
windows. In the morning while I'm doing the dishes I watch hummers
doing battle over the sage plants out front. Pugnacious little flits.

Bill

FarmerDill 08-07-2003 06:02 PM

Mortgage Lifter

Is there something special that has to be done to get this variety to
produce tomatos? This is the second year I 've tried growing them and
so far not a tomato; last year I only got one. Do I need two Mortgage
Lifters for cross pollenation? Special feeding requirements? Temp
preferences? It's not like I can't grow tomatos, I've cherry, Stupice,
Patio, and Better Boy coming out the wazoo, but all the Mortgage lifter
does is look healthy, put out blooms, and get bigger. All my tomatos
are getting the same regimen in the way of watering, fertilizer, and
sunlight. I'm stumped. Sunset Zone 23 So. Cal. USA.

Bill

Mortgage Lifter has been one the more reliable of the open pollinated varieties
for me. Tomatoes are self fertile so a good shake of the vine is all that
required for that. It should set tomatoes about two- three weeks later than the
Better Boy. It is a long season tomato. As someone has already mentioned, OP's
in general are less tolerant of fertile soils than hybrids, translating
nutrients into vine,

news.verizon.net 16-07-2003 06:10 AM

Mortgage Lifter

Which of the 11 varieties of Mortgage Lifter did you grow? Some are more
prolific. Mortgage Lifter Estler's strain was my best tomato of all last
season.

Mark

Noydb 18-07-2003 05:52 AM

Mortgage Lifter

news.verizon.net wrote:

Which of the 11 varieties of Mortgage Lifter did you grow? Some are more
prolific. Mortgage Lifter Estler's strain was my best tomato of all last
season.

Mark

When I bought my ML seeds the packet didn't mention that there were
alternative strains. Any clue how to tell them apart?

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Noydb 19-07-2003 08:15 PM

Mortgage Lifter

news.verizon.net wrote:

see: www.heirloomtomatoes.net & go to the All Varieties page.

Mark

EXCELLENT link ... thank you!
Bill

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Iris Cohen 27-07-2003 03:02 PM

Mortgage Lifter

Dunno about that ... look what a dollar a plant did for the guy who bred
Mortgage Lifter. BRBR

Please excuse my ignorance. What is Mortgage Lifter?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Phaedrine Stonebridge 27-07-2003 10:42 PM

Mortgage Lifter

In article ,
(Iris Cohen) wrote:

Dunno about that ... look what a dollar a plant did for the guy who bred
Mortgage Lifter. BRBR

Please excuse my ignorance. What is Mortgage Lifter?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Mortgage Lifter is an heritage tomato cultivar.