Old 08-07-2003, 04:56 PM
---Pete---

Default CORRECTION: On tomato ripening trick

On 08 Jul 2003 12:29:44 GMT, (Frankhartx) wrote:

From:
(---Pete---)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edi

you can make your tomatoes ripen faster if you do "root pruning"
when the tomatoes are green. Root pruning is where you take your
spade shovel and cut into the earth in a half circular pattern about

Supposedly, this cuts into the root system
and triggers the plant to ripen the

Even if it works I don't like the idea of possible lessening of furure
harvests. by damaging the root system, even though the system goes pretty deep.

-------
That could be true but only a problem if you have a small
number of plants. The idea is to have a few ripe tomatoes as
soon as possible. Best to try it on only one or two plants if you
others you can rely upon for the full season.

Besideds, that, I'm not really sure what effect the root pruning has
on the plant for the remaining portion of the growing season.

Right now, here in New Jersey, my garden is a few weeks behind
schedule compared to previous years (more rainy & cold this year)
and I don't even have any green tomatoes on the plants yet.
Therefore, I'll probably be trying this trick on the first plant that
produces decent sized tomatoes. Over the growing season
I should be able to compare the root pruned plant's production
to another similar plant that was not root pruned.
I'll post my findings here.

---pete---

Old 09-07-2003, 03:56 AM
Dwayne

The best use of this method is when the first frost will be there within 30
days and they are still green. It will allow you to salvage some before the
frost hits.

Dwayne

From: (---Pete---)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edi

you can make your tomatoes ripen faster if you do "root pruning"
when the tomatoes are green. Root pruning is where you take your
spade shovel and cut into the earth in a half circular pattern about

Supposedly, this cuts into the root system
and triggers the plant to ripen the

Even if it works I don't like the idea of possible lessening of furure
harvests. by damaging the root system, even though the system goes pretty

deep.

Any "trick" questions to ask at garden center... Phrederik Gardening 21 15-09-2003 05:02 PM
What's the trick with cabomba? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 21 25-08-2003 10:32 AM
NEED HELP FOR A MAGIC TRICK Me Texas 0 18-05-2003 10:32 AM
NEED HELP FOR A MAGIC TRICK Rusty Mase Texas 0 12-05-2003 05:32 PM
leak - trick of the trade? Darren Ponds 2 23-04-2003 09:32 PM