Old 10-07-2003, 01:49 AM
Registered User

Location: Near Wark - Northumberland
Default new user

Hi

I am new to your forum so all you experts get ready to answer my seemingly silly questions, is there any pot leek growers out there ?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:57 PM
rmw

Hi All,
yes I grow pot leeks.

Richard M. Watkin.

s.com...

--
Murf

Old 10-07-2003, 10:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Near Wark - Northumberland

Hi Richard
Do u enter them in leek show ?

Murf
Old 11-07-2003, 09:56 PM
rmw

Hi Murf,
no I just grow them to eat, once you have grown pot leeks you will not grow
anything else. do you intend to show them ?. if so you will have to start
them off very early in the year in a green house. in fact most people who
grow leeks for show grow them in green houses for their entire life, to have
total control over the conditions that they are grown under. hope this helps
you. if you need any more infomation, and I can help you I will.

Richard M. Watkin.

Murf wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Richard
Do u enter them in leek show ?

Murf
--
Murf

Old 11-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:13:08 +0100, "rmw"
wrote:

Hi Murf,
no I just grow them to eat, once you have grown pot leeks you will not grow
anything else. do you intend to show them ?. if so you will have to start
them off very early in the year in a green house. in fact most people who
grow leeks for show grow them in green houses for their entire life, to have
total control over the conditions that they are grown under. hope this helps
you. if you need any more infomation, and I can help you I will.

What are 'pot leeks' ? I know what 'leeks' a is there
any difference?

Thanks.
Pat

Old 12-07-2003, 06:08 PM
rmw

Hi Pat,
pot leeks are a type of leek that was bred for showing, rather like show
dogs and cats, a super leek I suppose. when they are put on show they have
to be a certain size, and the white part has to be so large and so on.
prizes are awarded to the best leek. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 12-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:06:25 +0100, "rmw"
wrote:

Hi Pat,
pot leeks are a type of leek that was bred for showing, rather like show
dogs and cats, a super leek I suppose. when they are put on show they have
to be a certain size, and the white part has to be so large and so on.
prizes are awarded to the best leek. hope this helps you.

Ah. I see. Thanks.

We actually do have judgings of home-grown vegetables and
fruits at fairs here (USA): many of our counties
(especially in rural areas) have an annual fair. People are
awarded blue, red, etc. ribbons as prizes. I don't know if
there's any money awarded.

But leeks are not nearly as popular here as they are in the
UK. I don't *think* that gardening - in general - is as
popular here as in the UK.

Our climate might have something to do with that, it's much
more difficult to garden in many areas of the USA (I think)
than it is in the UK. We have extremes of both heat and
cold (often in the same place!) that are unknown to the UK.

Pat
Old 13-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Near Wark - Northumberland

Hi Richard

I set my leeks away boxing day, leek growing can be confusing, if you cut away all the seeds from the flowering head you get grasses and pips, pips are small bulbils already growing a shoot from the top, plant them and you get a leek true to strain, plant a seed and anything can grow.
Grow in greenhouse to about end of May then plant out into raised beds, show is about 2nd week in September, prize for first in good show can be several thousand £.

Murf
Old 13-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Dave Allyn

What are 'pot leeks' ? I know what 'leeks' a is there
any difference?

yes, there is a big differance.. a "pot leek" is when there is a
small, but noticable hole in the baggie you keep our marajuana in.
the dried leaves slowly fall out of the hole, and you have a pot leek.
the size of the hole determins the size of the leek.

Central IL small garden, but do my best!

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
rmw

Hi Murf,
I did try planting the small bulbils one year, it was a few years back now
and I only did it once, but I found the problem was that the leeks went to
seed very quick, before they were even fully grown. what I do now is save
seed for two years, and buy new seed every third year. I have some seed
heads foming now so I may try the bulbil method again. how do you stop them
running to seed ?.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 14-07-2003, 06:32 PM
rmw

Hi Murf,
thank you for that infomation I will print it out and follow it out next
year. will let you know how I get on. thanks again,

Richard M. Watkin.
..
Murf wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Richard

Keep them on the head as long as possible, keep head indoors to avoid
frost - long stem, then put bulbils in john innes no fertilizer, in
pots keep them barely growing until march slowley give them heat,April
onwards,bigger pot when roots appear at bottom of pot, plant out late
may.( Should be in 8" pot by then, about 2" dia)
I heat is given too early or they freeze they will go to seed in that
year.

Murf
--
Murf