GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   SunSugar tomato (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/36078-sunsugar-tomato.html)

Pat Meadows 10-07-2003 01:32 PM

SunSugar tomato

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 20:47:30 -0700,
(dkra) wrote:

Right now it's in a 3-gallon pot on my fire escape, it gets adequate sun,
but after about a week or so outside its stem and leaves have turned dark
purple (as tomato foliage often does upon exposure to cold). Weather has
been sunny but somewhat cool and the plant hasn't get taken off. I gave
it some Ironite and Scott's Vegetable Food (20-27-5) and a deep watering,
last night.

I don't know why all these people are using Ironite on
tomatoes. Maybe it's the greatest thing since sliced bread,
BUT....

I've never used it, gardened in five different locations for
a total of almost 30 years, and have always had good
tomatoes.

I'd never heard of Ironite before reading messages here.

I do use 'Tomatoes Alive' from
http://www.gardensalive.com ,
when I can remember to use it, that is.

Pat

Pat Kiewicz 10-07-2003 01:56 PM

SunSugar tomato

dkra said:

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area (Sunset Zone 16) and wonder if anyone
else around here has tried this tomato. Thanks in advance.

It's very much like Sungold cherry. An improvement, actually, as it's less
prone to cracking. An excellent tomato, which I would never be without in
my garden -- but the plant gets big. Really, really big. A three gallon pot
will probably not suffice.

Some people do plant directly into large sacks of potting soil...

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)