GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Re(2): Earthworms (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/36193-re-2-earthworms.html)

Glenna Rose 11-07-2003 04:10 AM

Re(2): Earthworms

writes:
That certainly sounds like the reporter may not have done thorough
research and may very well have started out with a bias, a big no-no in
professional journalism.

Yes, I will try to remember to read the article, but I doubt it will
convince me that all earthworms are good for is attracting moles. I also
doubt it will change anything I've said here; reading will tell.

Glenna -- The poster failed to give the details of the article. In fact,
it
was well supported. The article was not in reference to gardening or
farming though -- it referred to a specific ecosystem, namely native
forests, where earthworms disturb a balance that has been in place for
millenia. I quoted a few bits from the article in my response to the
original poster

Yes, I saw that. I really appreciate your posting the information in the
context in which it was written. It makes perfect sense in that situation.
It is certainly understandable how earthworms (and their helpers) can
cause great havoc and damage where they aren't native by their aggressive
composting skills. We only need to look at some of our lakes and
waterways to see the dangers of introducing things where they were not
before. Think nutria, starlings, Himalayan blackberries, etc.

Glenna