GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potato's are ding again. See pictures and let me know what is wrong. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/36295-potatos-ding-again-see-pictures-let-me-know-what-wrong.html)

Chester Deja 11-07-2003 11:54 PM

Potato's are ding again. See pictures and let me know what is wrong.

My potatos are dying again this year - third year in a row they are
dying early. They have not bloomed yet. They seem to die this time
every year no matter where I plant them. Leaves curl and get black
spots and the plants die off. I planted 3 vararities this year - some
are doing better than others but all have the black spots and seem to
be dying:

http://members.kconline.com/rickcf/potato/

No Clue. Any help appreciated. I am in Zone 5 in NW Indiana and our
house is sitting on a former alfalpha field.

Thanks

Noydb 12-07-2003 02:44 AM

Chester Deja wrote:

My potatos are dying again this year - third year in a row they are
dying early. They have not bloomed yet. They seem to die this time
every year no matter where I plant them. Leaves curl and get black
spots and the plants die off. I planted 3 vararities this year - some
are doing better than others but all have the black spots and seem to
be dying:

http://members.kconline.com/rickcf/potato/

No Clue. Any help appreciated. I am in Zone 5 in NW Indiana and our
house is sitting on a former alfalpha field.

Thanks

That looks (to the untrained eye) like a fungal disease, quite possibley
septoria. If so, give it a shot of a copper or sulfur based fungicide every
8-10 days and destroy (burn or remove from the property) all dead plant
material / deep plow the area in the fall.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Christopher Norton 16-07-2003 05:32 PM

Potato's are ding again. See pictures and let me know what is wrong.

The message
from Noydb contains these words:

That looks (to the untrained eye) like a fungal disease, quite possibley
septoria. If so, give it a shot of a copper or sulfur based fungicide every
8-10 days and destroy (burn or remove from the property) all dead plant
material / deep plow the area in the fall.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Could be the dreaded potato blight which is what you could be talking
about with septoria.

I hope the potatos are being moved around rather than in the same spot
as thats just fatal for em.

Chester Deja 21-07-2003 05:32 PM

Potato's are ding again. See pictures and let me know what is wrong.

Could be the dreaded potato blight which is what you could be talking
about with septoria.

I hope the potatos are being moved around rather than in the same spot
as thats just fatal for em.

I have been moving them around. This is the first time they have been
in this spot. Weh I planted them I did not cut them up - planted them
hole and they were already growing. I also did not use any sulfur or
anti-fungul measures. I guess I will try that next year when I plant
again.

Rick

James 22-07-2003 06:23 AM

(Chester Deja) wrote in message . com...
Could be the dreaded potato blight which is what you could be talking
about with septoria.

I hope the potatos are being moved around rather than in the same spot
as thats just fatal for em.

I have been moving them around. This is the first time they have been
in this spot. Weh I planted them I did not cut them up - planted them
hole and they were already growing. I also did not use any sulfur or
anti-fungul measures. I guess I will try that next year when I plant
again.

Rick

Did you get any potatoes?
Probably a call to the county extension agent will help.

Chester Deja 11-08-2003 07:02 PM

Potato's are ding again. See pictures and let me know what is wrong.

Did you get any potatoes?
Probably a call to the county extension agent will help.

I just dug them up yesterday since all the plants had died out a week
ago. I planted 3 varities - about a half dozen plants of each. I got
a half 5 gallon bucket full of potatoes from each variety. It was a
decent yield despite the plants dying. Better than last year -
probably up at least a third. Probably due to me changing the site
location.

I grew Yukon Golds, Red Russet and a brown variety I never tried
before. I am happy with it. Next year I will dust and fungicide my
plot. I also got some sulphur I am thinking about tring too.

On a side note I also had a fungus kill my Asian lillies this year.
It must have spread from my rose bush which 3 ft away and had fungus
attack it again. Luckily this stuff is no where near my garden.

Rick