GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spices/Herbs in Ice Cubes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/36346-spices-herbs-ice-cubes.html)

[email protected] 12-07-2003 02:56 PM

Spices/Herbs in Ice Cubes

Hi.

Just wanting to share an experiment... I read quite a while ago that some
top chefs freeze finey chopped spices/herbs for winter use, and for salads
and what have you, in ice cubes.

So I chopped basil really fine, and put 1 teaspoon into the tray cups,
filled with water and froze it. Hope to try it out this weekend.

Any feedback on this method?

Thanks,
B.

Pat Meadows 12-07-2003 03:56 PM

Spices/Herbs in Ice Cubes

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:34:28 -0700,
wrote:

Hi.

Just wanting to share an experiment... I read quite a while ago that some
top chefs freeze finey chopped spices/herbs for winter use, and for salads
and what have you, in ice cubes.

So I chopped basil really fine, and put 1 teaspoon into the tray cups,
filled with water and froze it. Hope to try it out this weekend.

Any feedback on this method?

I do it. It's fine: it doesn't keep the texture of course,
but it keeps all that good fresh basil taste. Then you can
just toss the basil-ice-cube in sounds or stews or pasta
sauce or whatever you're cooking.

I use the blender though: I blend the basil leaves and
water together into a thick slurry, then freeze. This is
probably faster than chopping them by hand. Or you could
use a stick-blender (hand-held blender) or a food processor.

Pat

Pat Meadows 12-07-2003 03:56 PM

Spices/Herbs in Ice Cubes

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:18:06 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

I do it. It's fine: it doesn't keep the texture of course,
but it keeps all that good fresh basil taste. Then you can
just toss the basil-ice-cube in sounds or stews or pasta

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH - spellcheck run amok! Soups, soups!

Pat