Old 12-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Alex

Default Self-Sufficiency

I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.

The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
http://www.getalifeindex.com.
It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.

There are hundreds of references-- Not only links to web sites, but
also books and articles and other information

The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
Food (gardening, recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine;
House-building, Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work
(starting your own business or changing jobs/careers), etc.

–Alex
Old 12-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On 12 Jul 2003 09:24:14 -0700, (Alex)
wrote:

I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether
anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.

The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at
http://www.getalifeindex.com.
It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.

There are hundreds of references-- Not only links to web sites, but
also books and articles and other information

The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including
Food (gardening, recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine;
House-building, Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work
(starting your own business or changing jobs/careers), etc.

Wouldn't happen to be the *spamming* owner of the site,
would you? I thought so....

This is a *pay* site. There are zillions of free sites with
this info - they're all over the Web.

Pat

Old 12-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Seeker

This is a *pay* site. There are zillions of free sites with
this info - they're all over the Web.

Any recommendations?

Old 12-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:41:29 GMT, "Seeker"
wrote:

This is a *pay* site. There are zillions of free sites with
this info - they're all over the Web.

Any recommendations?

Sure, but you can do better than my recommendations.

Just go to Google and type in the search box the subject of
interest: whether 'gardening' 'homesteading',
'self-sufficiency' etc.

If it's a two-word topic use " -- like this "home
preserving" .

Also, go to http://www.waltonfeed.com - and click on
'Information Area'. (I can't give the exact URL you will
get then, my ISP is having problems today and I can't get o
the Web much today.)

Pat

Old 12-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Seeker

Sure, but you can do better than my recommendations.

Just go to Google and type in the search box the subject of
interest: whether 'gardening' 'homesteading',
'self-sufficiency' etc.

Well, Google isn't for personal recommendations. I prefer someone actually
recommending sites that they like. Why reinvent the wheel?

Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Noydb

Seeker wrote:

Sure, but you can do better than my recommendations.

Just go to Google and type in the search box the subject of
interest: whether 'gardening' 'homesteading',
'self-sufficiency' etc.

Well, Google isn't for personal recommendations. I prefer someone
actually
recommending sites that they like. Why reinvent the wheel?

Why ask questions of others you could answer yourself?
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 14-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Seeker

Why ask questions of others you could answer yourself?

I'm not following your logic. I asked for personal recommendations of
self-sufficiency web sites. If I don't know of any, how could I answer that
myself? People often pull the Google card but that is not the answer to all
web site requests. Personal recommendations are often for the gems of the
web.

Old 14-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:15:28 GMT, "Seeker"
wrote:

Why ask questions of others you could answer yourself?

I'm not following your logic. I asked for personal recommendations of
self-sufficiency web sites. If I don't know of any, how could I answer that
myself? People often pull the Google card but that is not the answer to all
web site requests. Personal recommendations are often for the gems of the
web.

Well, it appears the original post in this thread was spam; your
"question" was none too specific ("any recommendations?"); and a
suggestion to search on terms that fit your interests seemed a
reasonable response.

My own thoughts immediately turned to "The Good Life" BBC comedy
series (shown here on some PBS stations some years ago as "Good
Neighbors") about a couple who decided to drop out of the rat race and
become self-sufficient in their own suburban home. Not much useful
instruction, but very amusing.
Old 14-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

Why ask questions of others you could answer yourself?

I'm not following your logic. I asked for personal recommendations of
self-sufficiency web sites. If I don't know of any, how could I answer that
myself? People often pull the Google card but that is not the answer to all
web site requests. Personal recommendations are often for the gems of the
web.

In this particular case, I have too MANY of them to easily
give recommendations, especially since I use IE, and IE does
not keep its 'favorites' ('bookmarks' to Netscape users) in
an easily accessible format.

I made a mistake and made a joint category -
'Gardening/Homesteading' - in my 'favorites' and there are
probably hundreds of URLs there now. This should have been
separate categories.

If I could just send you a text file, I would. But as I
said, IE doesn't keep favorites in an easily accessible
format.

Pat
Old 14-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Bob

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
In this particular case, I have too MANY of them to easily
give recommendations, especially since I use IE, and IE does
not keep its 'favorites' ('bookmarks' to Netscape users) in
an easily accessible format.

What is the problem with IE 'favorites'? It works fine for me. I just create
folders and subfolders as appropriate.

Bob

Old 14-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:30:22 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
In this particular case, I have too MANY of them to easily
give recommendations, especially since I use IE, and IE does
not keep its 'favorites' ('bookmarks' to Netscape users) in
an easily accessible format.

What is the problem with IE 'favorites'? It works fine for me. I just create
folders and subfolders as appropriate.

Works fine for me too, but not for sharing with others:
they are not kept - AFAIK - in one text file anywhere.

If the favorites are all in one text file anywhere, I
haven't been able to find it.

Pat
Old 14-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Bob

wrote:

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
In this particular case, I have too MANY of them to easily
give recommendations, especially since I use IE, and IE does
not keep its 'favorites' ('bookmarks' to Netscape users) in
an easily accessible format.

What is the problem with IE 'favorites'? It works fine for me. I just

create
folders and subfolders as appropriate.

Works fine for me too, but not for sharing with others:
they are not kept - AFAIK - in one text file anywhere.

If the favorites are all in one text file anywhere, I
haven't been able to find it.

Ah. To transfer a list of 'favorites'. You can "export" favorites to an html
file, either all or any particular folders. That might help.

Bob

Old 14-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Pat Meadows

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:51:39 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

Ah. To transfer a list of 'favorites'. You can "export" favorites to an html
file, either all or any particular folders. That might help.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

Pat
Old 16-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Jan Flora

In article , "Seeker"
wrote:

Why ask questions of others you could answer yourself?

I'm not following your logic. I asked for personal recommendations of
self-sufficiency web sites. If I don't know of any, how could I answer that
myself? People often pull the Google card but that is not the answer to all
web site requests. Personal recommendations are often for the gems of the
web.

Go ask your question on misc.rural There are lots of rural folks over there
who have the good sites bookmarked.

Jan

Where is Bucket?! Was: Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement? Frogleg Edible Gardening 0 18-12-2003 05:18 PM
Where is Bucket?! Was: Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement? Frogleg Gardening 0 18-12-2003 05:16 PM
Where is Bucket?! Was: Self-Sufficiency Acreage Requirement? Frogleg Gardening 0 18-12-2003 05:13 PM
Self-sufficiency Alex Permaculture 0 14-07-2003 09:02 PM
Self-Sufficiency Alex Bamboo 0 12-07-2003 05:32 PM