Old 14-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Purple Pole Beans?

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?
Old 14-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:39:56 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

Sigh. Search on "purple pole bean".
Old 14-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

wrote:

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

Pinetree Gardens has them. The variety is 'PURPLE TRIONFO
VIOLETTO'.

See: http://www.superseeds.com/VegA-B.htm (and scroll way
down to find them).

Pat

Old 15-07-2003, 01:02 AM
FarmerDill

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

http://www.vermontbean.com/detail.cfm?SKU=01177
Vermont Bean has the variety that Henry Field touted for years but no longer
sells.

Old 15-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

wrote:

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

Sigh. Search on "purple pole bean".

You have no cause to be snarky; purple, edible podded pole beans are
hardly ubiquitous. I *have* searched every one of our 60-70 garden
catalogues as well as google w/o much luck. Mayhap you were unaware
that some varieties of purple and red are not really edible podded. We
already, in fact, purchased and planted one type only to find out later
it is not an edible pod. I was hoping someone here had experience they
might kindly share. Obviously your experience falls in another realm,
Prince Charming. (:P
Old 15-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
(FarmerDill) wrote:

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

http://www.vermontbean.com/detail.cfm?SKU=01177
Vermont Bean has the variety that Henry Field touted for years but no longer
sells.

You're right! I yanked out the VBSC catalogue and it was kinda tucked
in between the cowpeas and bush beans. And they are only 65 days so I
am going to order some. Thanks! They also have the streaked
"Rattlesnake" variety which is very tasty too.
Old 15-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

wrote:

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

Pinetree Gardens has them. The variety is 'PURPLE TRIONFO
VIOLETTO'.

See: http://www.superseeds.com/VegA-B.htm (and scroll way
down to find them).

Pat

Thanks so much! I am going to order some now.
Old 15-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
"harold steig" wrote:

I have gotten them from Gurney's they were just called purple pod.

Harold

Thanks Harold.
Old 15-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

Sigh. Search on "purple pole bean".

You have no cause to be snarky; purple, edible podded pole beans are
hardly ubiquitous. I *have* searched every one of our 60-70 garden
catalogues as well as google w/o much luck. Mayhap you were unaware
that some varieties of purple and red are not really edible podded. We
already, in fact, purchased and planted one type only to find out later
it is not an edible pod. I was hoping someone here had experience they
might kindly share. Obviously your experience falls in another realm,
Prince Charming. (:P

Sigh again. I wasn't trying to be "snarky." Your question was "Does
anyone know of a purple pole bean variety?" I grew purple pole beans
some years ago, but don't remember the variety. The answer to your
question seemed obvious to me, and that's why I suggested a search.
(Before posting, I Googled on "purple pole bean" and saw numerous
varieties mentioned, BTW.)

If you'd said "has anyone tried XYZ, or have you grown something
similar that you can recommend?" I wouldn't have bothered to post,
except perhaps to say I *had* grown some so I know they're not all
bush-types.

Newsgroups *are* for sharing experience and opinions, not just
directions to "look it up," but if someone asks a very general
question that can be easily answered by a simple search, I suggest
searching. People here are *very* kind about doing other's searches
for them and then typing up the information for spoon-feeding. I
admire and appreciate them. I merely don't (usually) do it myself.

Old 15-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Aaron Baugher

Phaedrine Stonebridge writes:

You're right! I yanked out the VBSC catalogue and it was kinda
tucked in between the cowpeas and bush beans. And they are only 65
days so I am going to order some. Thanks! They also have the
streaked "Rattlesnake" variety which is very tasty too.

Order early. We've been ordering from Vermont Bean for several years,
and they've been very slow the last two years. It seemed like they
shipped things out this year based on who had called to complain
lately. Luckily I had leftover seed from last year for most things.

--
Aaron

Old 15-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

wrote:

I just love purple beans (they turn green when you cook them). But all
I have been able to find are the bush type. Does anyone know of a
purple pole bean variety?

Sigh. Search on "purple pole bean".

You have no cause to be snarky; purple, edible podded pole beans are
hardly ubiquitous. I *have* searched every one of our 60-70 garden
catalogues as well as google w/o much luck. Mayhap you were unaware
that some varieties of purple and red are not really edible podded. We
already, in fact, purchased and planted one type only to find out later
it is not an edible pod. I was hoping someone here had experience they
might kindly share. Obviously your experience falls in another realm,
Prince Charming. (:P

Sigh again...... snip

Had you not lied about googling "numerous" varieties, I'd give you
slightly more credibility. If you want to be constructive, then I am
glad to talk with you. If not, then find another target because I see
no need to reinforce your fractiousness.

Old 16-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Aaron Baugher wrote:

Phaedrine Stonebridge writes:

You're right! I yanked out the VBSC catalogue and it was kinda
tucked in between the cowpeas and bush beans. And they are only 65
days so I am going to order some. Thanks! They also have the
streaked "Rattlesnake" variety which is very tasty too.

Order early. We've been ordering from Vermont Bean for several years,
and they've been very slow the last two years. It seemed like they
shipped things out this year based on who had called to complain
lately. Luckily I had leftover seed from last year for most things.

Our order this year was staggered in 5-6 seperate mailings from them!
And it was not a large order as we obtained most of our seeds from other
sources. OTOH, they sent us a large quantity of free peas described
only as "experimental". LOL. I hope they get over their problems as
they have always been one of my favorite suppliers.
Old 16-07-2003, 06:10 AM
news.verizon.net

Pinetree also used to sell Purple Peacock, another purple pole bean, which I
have good luck with, was gonna grow it this year but ran out of time. The
Trionfo is an Italian style bean which is a bit flatter (Romanesco?) Do a
search for Purple Peacock on your favorite search engine.

Mark