Old 04-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Raised Beds

I'm trying to get raised beds built this year. I have hopes
that it *will* happen.

But I'm uncertain what to edge them with: cement blocks
(expensive but permanent), planks, landscaping timbers?

Has anyone any words of wisdom as to the
advantages/disadvantages of various methods?

TIA.
Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
Old 04-03-2003, 06:39 PM
DH

I used concrete blocks, but didn't mortar them. Not very expensive at all,
and you can plant herbs, flowers, and strawberries in the holes!

Old 04-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:33:32 -0800, "DH"
wrote:

I used concrete blocks, but didn't mortar them. Not very expensive at all,
and you can plant herbs, flowers, and strawberries in the holes!

This would be an advantage, that's for sure. Around here,
though, they're $1 for a 16" block, and I'd need about 84
blocks. That seems pretty expensive to me.

But it is certainly permanent.

You're happy with yours?

Pat

Old 04-03-2003, 09:27 PM
DH

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message

You're happy with yours?

Yes, they stay in place (although mine are only about three bricks high, or
a foot and a half) and they are decorative. I made a kind of geometric
pattern with a large square divided into four parts, with a diamond in the
middle. In the middle, I have some herbs and a small shrub, and I can plant
different rows of plants in each square. I put a strawberry plant in every
other hole around the perimeter, and within one season, the runners had
dropped into the empty holes (filled with dirt), and I had a solid border of
strawberries. I put smaller, controllable plants (i.e, chives) into the
holes in the dividing bricks. Lots of room for creativity. I have had
them for three years, with no problems yet.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:51 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:22:17 -0800, "DH"
wrote:

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
.. .

You're happy with yours?

Yes, they stay in place (although mine are only about three bricks high, or
a foot and a half) and they are decorative. I made a kind of geometric
pattern with a large square divided into four parts, with a diamond in the
middle. In the middle, I have some herbs and a small shrub, and I can plant
different rows of plants in each square. I put a strawberry plant in every
other hole around the perimeter, and within one season, the runners had
dropped into the empty holes (filled with dirt), and I had a solid border of
strawberries. I put smaller, controllable plants (i.e, chives) into the
holes in the dividing bricks. Lots of room for creativity. I have had
them for three years, with no problems yet.

Thanks for the good information. I'll need to discuss it
with DH and then we'll see.

Pat

Old 07-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Dwayne

A friend of mine has his own cement mixer (they can be rented or even bought
fairly reasonable). Or you can get a cement truck to deliver it after you
have the frame work built. He has some lumber in his garage and builds a
two sided frame around his raised garden borders, and pours cement inside
the two sided frame.

He hasn't done this with his, but you can also get some coloring to add to
the cement while you are making it. Then you can have red, green, blue
cement retaining walls four inches thick and as tall as you want them, that
will add color to your yard, without having to paint or stain every couple
of years.

It will cost you more over the long run, but it is permanent and his looks
like it was done by a professional. He also lays walkways through his yard
and garden area.

DH, how hard is it to water the plants you have planted inside the holes in
cement blocks? Do you have to use a sprinkler, or can you use soaker hoses.
If you don't live in the South, wont the blocks freeze and crack if the dirt
in the holes is wet?

Good luck. Dwayne

Old 07-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 05:50:32 -0700, "Dwayne"
wrote:

A friend of mine has his own cement mixer (they can be rented or even bought
fairly reasonable). Or you can get a cement truck to deliver it after you
have the frame work built. He has some lumber in his garage and builds a
two sided frame around his raised garden borders, and pours cement inside
the two sided frame.

He hasn't done this with his, but you can also get some coloring to add to
the cement while you are making it. Then you can have red, green, blue
cement retaining walls four inches thick and as tall as you want them, that
will add color to your yard, without having to paint or stain every couple
of years.

It will cost you more over the long run, but it is permanent and his looks
like it was done by a professional. He also lays walkways through his yard
and garden area.

This would be a great way to do it. I don't believe we can
manage the work or expense, but I wish we could.

Thanks.

Pat
Old 07-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Anonymo421

Doesn't fresh concrete leach a great deal of lime or something similar
for the first year or two? If so you'd need to check and probably modify
the Ph levels.

I bet you could simply line the interior with Drylok or a similar waterproofing
material.

--
The US government wants the power to read citizens' email, but refuses to
defend the nation's borders. What's wrong with this picture?