Old 17-07-2003, 05:42 AM
bregent

Default Please help id tomato disease

Help! Last week I noticed some black curled edges on a few tomato leaves and now
it appears to be spreading fast. It's mostly on one plant but another has
started to show the same symptoms - and I only have 3 tomato plants.

Here's a link to some photos. I appreciate any feedback - thanks!

http://bayareamashers.org/tomato.htm

Old 17-07-2003, 05:55 AM
Jim Carter

On 16 Jul 2003 18:49:48 -0700, bregent wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Help! Last week I noticed some black curled edges on a few tomato leaves and now
it appears to be spreading fast. It's mostly on one plant but another has
started to show the same symptoms - and I only have 3 tomato plants.

Here's a link to some photos. I appreciate any feedback - thanks!

http://bayareamashers.org/tomato.htm

See http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ves/index.html for
photographs and double-check for a match.

See http://www.uvm.edu/extension/publica...sease/gd11.htm for control
and care of fungus diseases. Daconil is the fungicide commonly used.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 17-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Pat Kiewicz

bregent said:

Help! Last week I noticed some black curled edges on a few tomato leaves and now
it appears to be spreading fast. It's mostly on one plant but another has
started to show the same symptoms - and I only have 3 tomato plants.

Here's a link to some photos. I appreciate any feedback - thanks!

http://bayareamashers.org/tomato.htm

It looks like you may have both early blight (looking at top left picture) and late blight
(top row center).

The previous responder gave you some good links. I had already had
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html
bookmarked.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 17-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:31:27 -0400, Jim Carter
wrote:

See http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ves/index.html for
photographs and double-check for a match.

See http://www.uvm.edu/extension/publica...sease/gd11.htm for control
and care of fungus diseases. Daconil is the fungicide commonly used.

What excellent resources! Thanks very much.

I'm not the person who asked the question, but I'm very glad
to have these sites.

Pat
Old 17-07-2003, 06:22 PM
bregent

In article , says...

bregent said:

Help! Last week I noticed some black curled edges on a few tomato leaves and now
it appears to be spreading fast. It's mostly on one plant but another has
started to show the same symptoms - and I only have 3 tomato plants.

Here's a link to some photos. I appreciate any feedback - thanks!

http://bayareamashers.org/tomato.htm

It looks like you may have both early blight (looking at top left picture) and
late blight
(top row center).

Hmmm. My interpretation based on the links of the other responder is that it's
Bacterial Spot. The stated cause is also consistent with what may have happened.
I did plant these in a new location, but it was a location that had peppers last
year. In fact, I left the some of the peppers over winter which may have also
contributed to the problem. Also, the compost I used may have been contaminated
with diseased plants. I didn't know to avoid putting those into compost last
year - doh!

I'll try some copper fungicide and see if I can salvage any of them.

The previous responder gave you some good links. I had already had
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html
bookmarked.

Thanks, thats a good one too.