Old 18-07-2003, 01:02 AM
andrea baker

Default Is it too late to plant pole beans in Wisconsin?

Hi folks,

In your opinion, is it too late to plant pole beans in Wisconsin? For
a number of reasons (primarily, moving house at the end of May), I am
running behind this year, and didn't get anything planted until I
planted some tomatoes in containers and some pole beans in the ground
a week ago.

I soaked the pole beans over night before planting them, and didn't
plant them too deep, but they still aren't above ground. Assuming
that they come up in 1 more week's time, that would be July 24.

The package says maturity is 54-60 days, but my experience is that the
maturity is always 2-4 weeks longer than the package says.

What say you all?

Andrea Baker
Old 18-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Pat Kiewicz

andrea baker said:

Hi folks,

In your opinion, is it too late to plant pole beans in Wisconsin? For
a number of reasons (primarily, moving house at the end of May), I am
running behind this year, and didn't get anything planted until I
planted some tomatoes in containers and some pole beans in the ground
a week ago.

I would hope for the best and expect the worst (but maybe that's just my
Russian heritage). Everything will depend on the weather. If it's a late,
warm fall you may have a chance. But the odds are probably against it.

The pole beans I planted in mid-May are just now starting to bear. Yours will
be handicapped by shortening days which will start getting cooler and damper
(especially at night) as August turns to September. If you are lucky, you may
just start to get some beans to pick in mid-late September.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 18-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:34:42 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

If your gonna put em in the ground I`d say have a go. All you lose is a
bit of seed.

By pole bean would this be what the US call runner beans?

No. Our (USA) pole beans are typically not the same as your
(UK - I assume from your address) runner beans. Similar,
but with distinct differences.

I've grown both.

Our pole beans are (usually) eaten as snap beans, and called
'green beans' or 'string beans'. The pods are the part
eaten, before the seeds develop much if any inside. They
can be eaten as 'shell beans' (the seeds eaten fresh) or as
dried beans, but typically the young pods are eaten. The
French would call them 'haricots verts'. I'm not sure what
you call them in the UK but I think you call them 'green
beans'.

They are much nicer to eat (IMHO) than runner beans, which
tended (in my experience) to be tough and didn't have a very
good flavor, comparatively.

We use the expression 'pole beans' for various different
beans though: any that will grow up a pole (like runners).
Some are 'romano beans' - a broader, flatter bean which came
from Italy.

But not lima beans (eaten as fresh shell beans: pods not
edible), we don't call them 'pole beans'.

Pat

Old 18-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Christopher Norton

Thanks for the explanation Pat. Sound very similar to runners. However,
I much prefer French Beans as they are alot smaller and taste better for
my liking. I do like my runners when not cooked but thats me. Our Broad
Beans are the other big crop but they are grown for the beans themselves
rather than the pods as the case of runners and french beans.

Off to have a pick of my runners tomorrow.

Old 18-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:15:45 +0100, Christopher Norton
wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Pat. Sound very similar to runners. However,
I much prefer French Beans as they are alot smaller and taste better for
my liking. I do like my runners when not cooked but thats me.

You'd like our green beans then: much more like your French
beans.

Our Broad
Beans are the other big crop but they are grown for the beans themselves
rather than the pods as the case of runners and french beans.

I believe that your 'broad beans' are called 'fava beans'
here. They are not at all common here, and I wouldn't think
many home gardeners grow them. They're quite uncommon in
stores too.

Off to have a pick of my runners tomorrow.

Our green beans are coming along, but haven't blossomed yet,
I planted them very late.

We had a terribly wet spring, and then I was laid up and
couldn't even walk out to the garden for six weeks - so my
garden has been devastated this year what with one thing and
another. Not at all what I had planned. You cannot lose
all of June and half of July and still keep up with the
garden. I'm much better now, though, and will be starting
seeds for fall veggies shortly.

Pat
Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 PM
zxcvbob

andrea baker wrote:

Hi folks,

In your opinion, is it too late to plant pole beans in Wisconsin? For
a number of reasons (primarily, moving house at the end of May), I am
running behind this year, and didn't get anything planted until I
planted some tomatoes in containers and some pole beans in the ground
a week ago.

I soaked the pole beans over night before planting them, and didn't
plant them too deep, but they still aren't above ground. Assuming
that they come up in 1 more week's time, that would be July 24.

The package says maturity is 54-60 days, but my experience is that the
maturity is always 2-4 weeks longer than the package says.

What say you all?

Andrea Baker

You certainly have time for bush beans -- especially if you plant
"Contender".

I think if you plant pole beans now they will sense the shortening
season and bear quicker and a smaller crop than they ordinarily would,
but I'm just guessing.

Bob, in Minnesota

--
"Stealing a Rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly" --Kehlog Albran

Old 19-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:

andrea baker wrote:

[...]

I think you're a good guesser : )

Jan
Old 19-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Kristen

Pat Meadows wrote:

snip

But not lima beans (eaten as fresh shell beans: pods not
edible), we don't call them 'pole beans'.

Here in Syracuse, NY, I call mine pole limas . Of course, I do come
from South Jersey originally, so that might explain it!

-Kristen
Syracuse, NY

Do these pole beans ever have beans? J Golden Edible Gardening 4 05-07-2005 07:46 PM
How thick a pole is okay for pole beans" Charlene Taylor Gardening 4 30-05-2005 05:21 PM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM